did i go overkill on shock?

I am well aware of ammonia tests. I didn't know ammonia was an issue with pools. My Marine Testing equipment is far more elaborate than the TFST kit I bought. Pool testing and balancing is a breeze compared to a reef tank with the variable of recreating the conditions of some of the most prolific but picky creatures on the planet.

Ammonia is only occasionally an issue if just the right series of events transpire. There is some bacteria in soil that can convert CYA to ammonia if it gets into the pool while it is closed over the winter. There are a couple of threads about it, and it's been brought up a few times this year where people had to use a lot of chlorine when opening their pool, their CYA was 0, and they had lots of CC showing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so our pool has gotten much clearer since we started shocking last Thursday. other than the shallow end being a little cloudy, it looks almost clear. the deep end still has a very green tint to it tho, and we can see algae still swirling in the skimmer. FC PPM's have been kept at 12-15 consistently, with PH in the 7.6-7.8 (a touch on the high side), alk. is at 80 range, cya 30 throughout. all my numbers tell me my pool should be killing everything dead, and while its killed most, there is def still some algae in there. not sure what to do at this point, as this last bit of algae seems to be lingering. starting to get a bit discouraged. any tips would be appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Note: ph was raised in preparation to floc. although after reading thru the pages on here, it looks like that is not advised. so i just made my chlorine work less effectively for no reason it seems.... sigh lol

I would lower PH closer to 7. Its cheap and quick. I too was tempted to Floc or Clarify, it is not needed. Just keep water moving and FC up, I went higher than minimum shock values, My shock level was 12, I went as high as 30 when I was trying to keep any FC in the pool and maintained 20 and let it drift down to 4-5 where I try to maintain it at now. I have a CYA of 30ish. I am not sure I can ever come up with a firm CYA number.

Edit: I was never able to maintain an FC level of 30, I would dose to 30 and after 30 minutes the test would read around 20, within an hour I would be near the MINIMUM shock level of 12.2. There are recommended levels for green algae and mustard Algae, but I have yet to see a clear standardized method to deal with CYA eating bacteria and the resulting ammonia. I never made a recommendation to take the same actions I did, but it was what I had to do in order to get ahead and now have a TFP. I also never let anyone in the water until it was clear and below shock level. Lowering PH helped a lot, and that was the recommendation I made.

- - - Updated - - -

My deep end took 5-6 days to clear up after my shallow end was clear. I have a 12 foot deep end.

Moderator comment: The recommendation to more than double the shock level is way outside teachings of TFP. FC that high could be very corrosive to pump equipment, especial the pump seals and it is probably unhealthy should you accidentally enter the water.

ahh ok. well this being my first year, idk the ins and outs quite yet. did you use anything other than bleach and filtering to clear the pool?
As Lisa said, chlorine and time with the filter running. Disregard a recommendation to more then double the FC level. Stick with shock or just a little above.

To verify-

You are testing and adjusting back to shock level several times a day
You are brushing the pool at least once a day
You have the filter running 24/7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.