Greenhorn.....First tf100 test....lots of questions

Nov 29, 2013
Just performed first tf100 test, results as follow:

FC. After adding 0870, only slight tinge of pink.
2 drops 0871 = 1 PPM
I also noticed that after adding 0871 and turning clear if I let it sit for a few minutes it would turn pink
again.

CC. Added R-0003, turned pink
3 drops 0871 = 1.5

Based on above

TC=2.5

TA. After adding 007 & 008 turned pink, NOT GREEN!
Added 7 drops of 009 and it turned a deeper pink/red.
Therefore TA = 70?

CYA. 90

Very confused on results, what do I need to do now?

Thanks, Greg

Your FC is to low add bleach per chlorine chart for your CYA level
CC of 1.5 is to high
Don't know what happened with the TA test
CYA is high partial drain and refills to lower CYA to 30-50

- - - Updated - - -

How does your water look?

- - - Updated - - -

What was your PH?

- - - Updated - - -

Also it is normal for the solution to go back to pink after sitting

Your FC is too low, your CC is way too high, your CYA is high, and you didn't post your pH. If your TA is 70 but your pH is good then you don't need to worry about it.

Here is a list of our Recommended Levels. You will want to do a water replacement to bring your CYA down, and if you are going to continue chlorinating with pucks then you will need to constantly watch your CYA level because it will be rising on an ongoing basis. After you get your CYA down you will be needing to SLAM Your Pool based on your low FC and high CC.

What is the pH? That's critical. If it's really low, you might have really low TA, too. And pH needs to be fixed before you start the Shock Level And Maintain process. The high CC is the reason you need to SLAM. How does the water look? Emerald Green? Cloudy? Swamplike?

As an aside, it's not uncommon for the FC test to go pink on you again after it sits a few minutes. You didn't do anything wrong, there.

Ok, thanks all.

Just tested PH which was 6.8-if not lower.

Please advise on next steps.

The water looks clear.

Would prefer not to have to drain & refill part of pool, on well and ont want to strain.

Also, tested FC and CC ad both are sme as last night.

Do I start adding bleach?

Really appreciate guidance.

Thanks

Greg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to get your pH up above 7.2 ASAP. Very important to do right away.

With your CC where it is you have something brewing that will only get worse if you don't hit it now. At CYA of 90 then you will need to raise and maintain your FC at 35 until you complete the SLAM. It would be far easier to lower your CYA level first, but it's your decision. Just worry about your pH until it is fixed, it really is critical that you raise that up.

If the CYA really is 90, you should replace some to get that level down.

If you choose to suffer through the summer with it and not drain, then your next step is to raise the pH. Because your TA is so low, Washing Soda aka Soda Ash aka pH Up is what you want. Plug your numbers into poolmath and target 7.4 pH and add what amount it calls for. How to figure amounts is explained here. How to add it is here. I'd start with two pounds, just in case the pool isn't as big as you think. And if you do replace water first, you'll need new pH and TA readings.

Let it mix an hour or so and recheck pH and TA. It might take more than one round to raise the pH where you want it.

Once pH is fixed and TA is above, say 50, you can then raise the FC to shock level, which is 35 FC, which will take you about 11 jugs of clorox just for the first dose. That's why we advise a lower CYA level. How much is water where you live? It really might be cheaper to lose half the water first. Those 11 jugs are just for starters. You might need twice as many to keep the FC level up.

Do you intend to to drain 30% or 40% of your water to lower the CYA level or are you going to SLAM Your Pool and live with the high CYA?

Good job so far reading, learning and using PoolMath.

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed them.
Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

For now I plan on living with high CYA.

Once I start adding Clorox how long until I reach acceptable chlorine levels.

Also going forward should I just plan on having jugs of Clorox to add when needed as well as feeding clorinator?

I know I'll still be asking questions but I wanted to thank all for your guidance.

I feel empowered by getting a better handle on the test kit, but still have questions on chemical actions/interactions.

I feel comfortable In keeping asking questions because you all are so knowledgable.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.