Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this, and how do I use it?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this, and how do I use it?

I know it is a type of cleaner, but the house was built in the 40's, and this looks older than the house! I know where the cleaner port is, and assume I chunk it in, and plug it up. Is there a checklist I need to go over before doing so?

sent from the device my boss pays the bill for, so I should be working instead of posting here
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What is this, and how do I use it?

It appears to be a cleaner. I am sure some one may know.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Perhaps this...http://www.inyopools.com/Products/16..._K0aAgpM8P8HAQ
    Or this :http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Vac-Sw.../dp/B002HRET56

If you figure out which one it is or if it is neither, Google suction side pool cleaners and browse the images. If you find it and cannot locate the instructions, we can try to help you.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. It is closer to the polaris, but I haven't been able to find a match via Google images. It is getting old throwing the vac in and having to refill water almost every night when I get home.

sent from the device my boss pays the bill for, so I should be working instead of posting here
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a TON of trees, and things constantly blowing into the pool. Not to mention the critters in the skimmer basket!

6. Back To Top    #6

Its a polaris. Looks like probably a 280. They;ve been around for a LONGGG time.
    The hose going into the top of it connects to a dedicated port in the side of the pool wall.

You need to be running both your circulation pump AND the booster pump for the 280 to work.
    They are tricky things but when they work, they work well (for iron age technology).
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Dave. I assumed I needed to run the aux pump. Too tired tonight, will give it a go tomorrow night.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a Polaris, but it could be a 180 or 280. Remove the bag and look down the tube it is connected to. If there is only one jet, it is a 180 if there are 2, it is a 280.

The tires look a bit worn and you probably should get a tail scrubber, but I'd throw it in, kick on the booster and see how it runs. If it has potential, then replacing the tires may be worth it. If the booster pump is a goner, it may be worth looking at other cleaner options.

There are rebuild kits available, that replace most all the moving parts. What goes bad on me the most are the gears on the inside of the plastic wheels. They get worn and sloppy and then it does not move as well.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

BTW, that is a pressure cleaner, not a suction cleaner.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    That is a Polaris, but it could be a 180 or 280. Remove the bag and look down the tube it is connected to. If there is only one jet, it is a 180 if there are 2, it is a 280.

The tires look a bit worn and you probably should get a tail scrubber, but I'd throw it in, kick on the booster and see how it runs. If it has potential, then replacing the tires may be worth it. If the booster pump is a goner, it may be worth looking at other cleaner options.

There are rebuild kits available, that replace most all the moving parts. What goes bad on me the most are the gears on the inside of the plastic wheels. They get worn and sloppy and then it does not move as well.
    thanks, I will look a little closer tonight

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    BTW, that is a pressure cleaner, not a suction cleaner.
    Would a suction cleaner attach like the vac?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

If it were a suction cleaner yes, but since it is a pressure cleaner no. Pressure cleaners don't attach to the suction side.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    If it were a suction cleaner yes, but since it is a pressure cleaner no. Pressure cleaners don't attach to the suction side.
    Yeah, I was clarifying lol

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Lol ok
    Lisa

14. Back To Top    #14

My wife wants to buy this house as she has fallen in love with it. If we do, I think I am going to make some changes with the pool and equipment. May even sell all of my trucks and parts!