SWG issue - if not cell, something else?

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Hello all,

Have a 2-year old Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, and I thought I had a problem with the cell - 2 days ago noticed it was showing no/low salt (when it has been tested as being in the 3000 range), no amps and 30+ on the volts.

So, got a replacement cell T-15, put it in, turned it on - - and a few minutes later, it showed a green generating light, amps in the 4-5 range, volts in the low/mid 20s....

5 minutes later - not generating, check cell, low salt, volts in the 30s and no amps.

Is the controller the issue? Or did I miss some sort of "calibration" timeframe for everything to kick in as normal?

Thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manny

First, test the salt level with a known good test. Then verify that your new cell is a T-15. Then try the following

1) Turn the switch to Off.
2) Push the diagnostics button and record all of the readings
2) Wait 5 minutes
3) Turn the percent to 50 %
4) Move the switch to auto
5) Within 30 seconds, you should hear a click.
6) Wait 30 seconds more
7) Push the diagnostics button and record all of the readings

Then repeat the above procedure again.

This will give you 4 sets of readings. Post the readings, the measured salt level and the make and model of the cell, and we should be able to help.

I don't think that it's a board or thermistor problem. I would suspect that the salt is too low or the new cell is a smaller size than a T-15. Also, note that a two-year-old cell in your size pool should still have plenty of life left. Check the cell for scaling, and clean if necessary.

Thanks James...

The "old" cell looks clean - it spent 15-20 mins in the acid/water mix
I have been running it at >90% just because of the amount of sun, leaves/organics, etc.

Did all of the below with the "new" cell (guaranteed, to be clean and fully operational, right?). It's a T-CELL-15 (Goldline/Hayward).
The SWG is Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - had a T-15-SWP cell.

Turn off.... readings were 2900 / 86 / 31.9 / 0 / 85 / 0 / AL-0 / R-1.58 / T-15
Definitely waited more than 5 mins
Turn on at 50% .... showed no flow - so i put the pump @ max speed (vs. just 1000 RPM that it had been at)
Now green generating light clicks on... relevant reading changes - - volts 19.6, amps 4-5 (and climbing), salt 3700
After a few minutes, still showed generaring... volts closer to 23, amps in the 6.7-6.8 range

About 20 mins later, still generating, volts at 24ish, amps in same range, salt 3500 (the "instant" one still at 2900).

As always, TFP comes through :)

I dare not touch the % to increase it because I don't want to mess it up!

Since all of this is with the new cell, I'm going to take the old cell to the PS to have it tested.

This was the equivalent of IT saying, "close windows, restart, and everything will be fine". I'd never had to do that before, so what could have caused it and can I avoid it in the future?

Your diagnostics look good. You should be able to adjust the percentage to whatever you want with no problems.

Note that the average salt level is the default display. The instant salt has a minus sign in front of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.