pool light and CGFI issue

tomsop

Oct 18, 2012
last year my pool light went out and I did not replace it (I have another pool light in the pool on other end and then a spa light). I did not replace it because never really swam at night.

This year when I tried to turn on the lights all were not working. I checked the CGFI and the red test button pops every time I reset it and turn on the light switch. My question is would a dead bulb cause this to fault or could it be more serious? I was thinking of switching out the light bulb and replace gasket myself but beyond that I would need to call for help. I guess I'll find out when I replace the bulb but I was wondering if this is likely the cause now for the CGFI to trip. Thanks - Tom

Could be a number of things.

I just went through this myself but it was a case of poorly done / improper wiring.

to get started:

do you have the light on a GFI breaker or is it a plugin GFI receptacle the light is fed from?

the CGFI breaker is on an outlet next to my control box that offers two 110V plugs. When I push the red button in and turn on the light on from the control box the red button pops out.

Three things come to mind:

1. corrosion on the wiring

2. bad gfci breaker - replace with a new one...return it if it too pops.

3. moisture in the wiring from the pool to the junction box

Not sure it would be the dead bulb causing but could be...maybe replace that first and a new gasket to start.

with the niche pulled out on deck, maybe pull the bulb off, inspect the socket for moisture and if dry, try testing the gfci.

Plain and simple, you have a voltage leak. Do you know what type of wire was used from the GFCI down to the deck box where the light is connected? (thwn, UF, NMb, etc). A burned out light bulb will not cause this.. Is there water in the light assembly on any of the lights? The wire in the conduit from the light to the deck box is rated wire for wet locations so I doubt the problem exists there.

I would start by checking each of your 3 lights to make sure that there is not water in them.

From there you need to eliminate (disconnect) them from the circuit one at a time until the gfci breaker does not trip when switch is turned on. You have them isolated your bad wiring run/fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.