Got the pool, now what???

FunFinder

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2015
Cajun country, Louisiana
Hello and thank you! I've been lurking for a few weeks now, as I tried to decide which AGP to purchase. I have a few ideas, but way more questions than answers, so I signed up and I'm hoping to learn from all of you.Here are a few of the things I have not figured out yet:
1. Sand or foam under the pool? Seems like foam would be easier to work with for getting a smooth bottom. I know, above all else, the site must be level and need support under braces.
2. Where do I find a heavy duty ground cover? The one that came with the pool is practically see through!
3. Should I get a new pump/filter now? I've read that the included pumps for Intex are usually undersized. Ours is 1200gph with a sand filter (11" maybe? 26lbs of sand) and pool is 4545 gal. If so, what size do I need? I want to stick with a sand filter and I don't think I'm ready to learn about plumbing, as I'm putting my brain effort into mastering the fine art of pool chemistry. I don't mind investing in a good system.
4. Saltwater generator- will I have to study plumbing if I buy anything other than an Intex brand? I know I will need to remove the copper blocks for Intex.
5. To skim or not to skim? Leaves will not be an issue. Is a good daily sweeping with a net similar to skimmer results?
6. Saw a picture of pump/filter in a plastic deck box. I liked the look and seems like it would reduce noise, but do I need to be worried it would overheat here in South La?
TIA for your help!

1) Foam is better, but costs more. If the cost doesn't bother you, go for foam.
2) Not nearly as important if using foam.
3) If you can afford it, going up to 2000+ gph is well worth it.
4) The Intex SWG is inexpensive and works, though it does have some minor annoyances (frequent cell plate cleaning sometimes). The copper block and be unplugged and otherwise left in place very easily.
5) Skimming is automatic, using a leaf rake can be fun, but is also work.
6) Overheating is a definite possibility. Any enclosure needs good ventilation.

Thanks for your reply. I would like to upgrade the pump/filter combo, but I'm concerned the pluming fixtures won't match with the intex fittings. Seems like some people have to do major work to get it to match and others can buy a conversion kit- how do I figure this out before purchase?

Have you searched the many threads on upgrading to a better filter n pump? Maybe ask a friend to help cuz two heads are better than one n if something goes wrong, you have someone to blame. :mrgreen:

Casey, thanks for your reply. Yes, I've searched and found great info, these questions were just the few I still couldn't figure out. Since it looks like it's going to rain here for the next 10 days, I have some time before setting up the pool, so I think I will order a Hayward pump and sand filter as Jasonlion rec. and figure out the fittings when it gets here. I just ordered a saltwater generator, so things are coming together.

The Intex pumps that come with the sand filters are much better than the pumps that come with their pools. I would suggest that you give the pump you have a try and if you don't like it, just upgrade to a better Intex pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, I see that you have already ordered a new pump. That works too.

Thanks for your input. I actually have not purchased a new pump or filter yet, because I'm still so confused. I can't figure out what hp my intex pump is, and if I could just use it and get bigger sand filter. I haven't seen anyone with a 10 " sand filter! I did order the Hayward wide mouth skimmer. I am also wondering about a vacuum now. So many decisions! Love all the info on here though.

Kristin,

I would guess it is probably about 1/2 hp. The 2650 pump was. 95. In the case of Intex that is probably the best it will ever perform under the most ideal conditions.

I looked at the questions that people have asked on Amazon about the 1200 and they say it works. My 2650 was great until I needed it to do more than it was capable of. Intex pumps are not self priming and that is what caused my issues everytime.

I would suggest (strongly) that you use what you have and see how it goes. Amazon ships and delivers 7 days week now so if you have to get a new pump, you can very quickly.

I thought I understood pumps and my needs after two years and I bought a Hayward 3/4 hp single speed pump. Five minutes after I did, I found the thread that made me regret not buying a two speed pump. All of this learning takes time. I am fine with my Hayward pump and when I get around to it, I may just replace the motor. More learning. I have cut my electric bill by $25-30/mth by simply adding a liquid chlorinator that stopped my haphazard chlorination routine, which led to constant algae outbreaks, which led to running the pump 24/7 several weeks each month. My single speed pump is just fine now that I am only running it 5.5 hours each day.

If I didn't mention it previously, my final remaining Intex product is the sand filter that came with the 2650. It is doing exactly what it should. All I have to it in two years is grease the spider gasket and replace the pressure gauge.

I hope this post helps you to not worry about the pump and filter. Give them a chance and upgrade if/when required. You are going to find ways to spend money for sure. I told a friend the other day that I am going to have the 20k above ground pool in the backyard of my 70k home. This all started with a $249 Intex pool almost 4 years ago. A propane heater is next because I need to keep the pool warm when the solar can't.

I forgot one thing. Intex also has a two year warranty. If the pump tears up, they will send you another the first time. The second time, they will require that you send the broken put back.

Kristin,
gauge.

I hope this post helps you to not worry about the pump and filter. Give them a chance and upgrade if/when required. You are going to find ways to spend money for sure. I told a friend the other day that I am going to have the 20k above ground pool in the backyard of my 70k home. This all started with a $249 Intex pool almost 4 years ago. A propane heater is next because I need to keep the pool warm when the solar can't.

LOL on the $249 pool- I totally get why they are referred to as "gateway" pools, as we started out with a $50 one a few years ago too! I could never keep the water balanced, so I am determined I will have a trouble free pool this summer. So glad I found this site.

Thanks for the reassurance on the intex system. I am an Amazon Prime member and love the service.

Will my tiny pump power an auto cleaner or do I need to get an independent vacuum with it's own power?

Thanks so mich for the helpful info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kristin, I THINK it will. When I had Intex, I used a battery powered cleaner due to the non standard Intex sizing. Intex is making their own cleaner now.. under $100 and I know there are threads here that contain solutions.

New 2015 Intex saltwater units eliminated the copper block, more heavy duty and now uses a separate process to kill algae and bacteria. Also, Thankfully they re-engineered that horrible flat plug to the low salt sensor. That broke after 2-3 years. Don't make a mistake like I did buying the all in one unit (sw, filter pump). SW units last 2-3 years, fingers crossed the new units are better. Pumps last 20 years and are cheap. SW units won't work withe standard 520gph pool pumps, need 700gph minimum. Sw units to get
28669EG (15,000) Or 28667EG (7,000 gallon) cost exactly the same. Forget the old junky pre 2015 ones.

New 2015 Intex saltwater units eliminated the copper block, more heavy duty and now uses a separate process to kill algae and bacteria. Also, Thankfully they re-engineered that horrible flat plug to the low salt sensor. That broke after 2-3 years. Don't make a mistake like I did buying the all in one unit (sw, filter pump). SW units last 2-3 years, fingers crossed the new units are better. Pumps last 20 years and are cheap. SW units won't work withe standard 520gph pool pumps, need 700gph minimum. Sw units to get
28669EG (15,000) Or 28667EG (7,000 gallon) cost exactly the same. Forget the old junky pre 2015 ones.

I'm glad they removed the copper. No need for it. I am curious about this electro catalytic oxidation feature. Is it actually a new feature, or are they just marketing something that happens in a chlorine generator anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I purchased the 28669 and did not realize it doesn't have the copper bars. Now I'm wondering if there is anything terrible about hydroxyl.

Does TFP offer Continuing Educational Credits? ;)

From some of chem geeks posts, apparently uv breaks chlorine down into hydroxyl radicals and they are good. Also they can be made in a cell with a special coating; diamond boron something or another. I'm still curious if regular swg's make them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My test kit came in and today I want to purchase the chemicals I need to have on hand when I fill the pool. Here's my list, please let me know if I am missing anything:
Salt for pool ~ 120 lbs
CYA 6lbs
Mule team Borax
Baking soda
Muriatic acid
Bleach
Margarita mix

Depending upon your readings, you may not need the borax, muriatic acid, or baking soda.

The others are essential. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.