Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating skimmer baskets

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating skimmer baskets

Ok....it's always bothered me a little bit but not so much that I worried much about it. I have 2 skimmer baskets that float out of their correct position -- Is this because of my pool having a SWG? Any suggestions on how to keep them seated properly without introducing an unwanted object in my pool water? It's my first question so go easy on me.
    18 X 36 Rectangle Vinyl - Hayward 1 1/2 HP Super Pump - Zodiac DuoClear 25 Chlorinator - 300# Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating skimmer baskets

The easiest thing to do is to put a rock in the basket. Make sure the rock is too big to go into the actual port at the bottom of the skimmer though.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

my skimmer basket started floating after putting a skimmer sock on (after the pump turns off).

just put a big rock in as John said.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on the rock.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info !!
    18 X 36 Rectangle Vinyl - Hayward 1 1/2 HP Super Pump - Zodiac DuoClear 25 Chlorinator - 300# Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I agree with the rock. I have one in mine all the time.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for this info. Mine floats out with my pump on.

vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oddly mine is solidly pool down into position when the pump is on (as it should be) but once the pump off it bobs up some. Nothing bad happens, nothing falls out.

I also use skimmer socks (well, Skippy does as he's got the work of changing them out and cleaning the baskets while I look on admiringly)

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain