Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing FC and water got cloudy fast.

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing FC and water got cloudy fast.

So pool has been opened for 6 weeks and has been beautiful and clear as well. We had some people over to swim over the weekend and I turned up the SWG just in case. I checked the FC yesterday and it was 3.0, so I topped it off with a bottle of bleach and set the SWG up to 60%. Today I checked the water and the FC was 1.5 and it looked cloudy. The PH has been around 7.3 and today it was 7.1. The weather has been cooler and the solar cover has been on the pool and lots of dirt and pollen got into the water when I rolled it up on the weekend. So what is causing the cloudy water? Am I making the right call to shock it? (Can't hurt, but it does cost money).

PH 7.1 (raising to 7.6)
    FC 1.5 (bringing to shock level)
    cya 45
    TA 80
    salt 2500
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing FC and water got cloudy fast.

By any chance are you the same "doublewide6" I see on YouTube? In any case, one of our SWG experts will chime in soon I'm sure. Curious though, what test kit did you use to obtain those readings? My gut tells me if things are getting cloudy now that the weather is warming up, it's a sign of algae trying to wake-up. I suspect an increase in chlorine may be in order. More advice to follow.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Algae is likely causing the cloudy water. That is the first sign of an algae bloom. Side walls are probably slightly slimy also. It is definitely time to SLAM Your Pool before it gets worse.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I'm on it.
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel