Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely high chlorine-What was I thinking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Extremely high chlorine-What was I thinking?

Hi, I made a rooky mistake and dumped 13 bottles of bleach into my pool without testing the water first. When I opened the pool, there was obvious sign of algae so I added bleach yesterday and had my mom just dump several bottles of bleach over the course of today until I got home to test the water. I put in 6 bottles yesterday and my mom added 7 bottles today. (Clorox 121 oz. 8.5% strength from Sam's Club)

Well, now that I have tested the water I am a bit scared that I might have royally messed things up.

FC-87.5 I added 175 drops before a color change and still there was a slight pink to the water
    PH-more than 8.2
    TA-50
    CH-125
    CYA- black dot somewhat/barely visible at 10

What should I do? Is the following correct
    Use 26 oz of muriatic acid to lower PH and then add 127 oz baking soda to raise TA
    AG 15x30 wall height 52" - 13,500 gallons install 05/2002
    Astralpool Millennium Series 2000 sand filter 19 1/2 HP
    2.0 HP Pump
    Agua Heat electric heater
    TFT-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Extremely high chlorine-What was I thinking?

wow that is pretty high, but your CYA being at zero, if you get direct sun daily and have algae to kill
    should lower itself over a period of weeks.

sounds about right on the acid and baking soda. I would add half at a time then test the water.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do nothing to the pH. High FC - and yours is - affects the dye. You can;t trust that pH reading.
    Do nothing to the TA yet. You don't have a plaster pool, so there's no danger of etching the plaster.

For the chlorine, I'd say: wait.

If the liner's going to bleach out, it's good bet it already has. With hardly any CYA, you'll lose a massive amount of FC just to the sun. I'd guess as much as 50% per day.

Take advantage of the high FC and brush that pool. Just wear disposable clothing in case you splash yourself.

And don't do that again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

oops ya I left out what Richard said, don't do anything until you are back to a normal level.

PH test is useless if chlorine is 10ppm or more.

5. Back To Top    #5

FC 87.5? We have a new record I think.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much!

What are my chances of being able to use the pool on Monday for the holiday?

I found this site last year and have probably read just about all the pool school documents at least twice and really should know better. I was trying to rush the process!

Also, is it okay to put in my Aquabot Sport into the pool to vacuum? Or would the high chlorine level damage the machine?
    2.0 HP Pump
    TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If need be you can use chlorine reducer to get FC down to swim level, if the pool is otherwise clear and free of algae.

p.s. if your local pool store does not have Sodium Thiosulfate based Chlorine reducer, you can also use common 3% hydrogen peroxide which typically sells for under $1 per QT at dollar stores, the downside is you get about a 1-1 effect volume wise with bleach using the 3% hydrogen peroxide method, so you might have to visit several stores to buy enough.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have full sun daily until monday it's possible.

generally you shouldn't swim in above "shock levels" and if you do swim
    around the shock level or a little below, your swimsuit will likely pay a price.

9. Back To Top    #9

You might also want to get some CYA in there which will buffer the FC some.

I would keep the robot out until the FC comes down a good bit

The CYA will of course slow the FC burn off rate too, so there is a trade off
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

Wouldn't it be best to get the chlorine down to prevent further damage to the liner? I used Sodium Thiosulfate when I goofed to 26ppm and it works very quickly.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

11. Back To Top    #11

I think we are mostly working around the theory that much of the damage is already done and the FC is likely declining on its own

12. Back To Top    #12

But if it only goes down ~3 to 4ppm per day, It could be high for weeks. o.o
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

13. Back To Top    #13

I do feel for you, but wow. I can't imaging adding 175 drops and keeping track.
    I'd love to know the color of the Chlorine Block test.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

14. Back To Top    #14

I should have taken a picture. It was a very deep red.

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw in another post that baquacil oxidizer reduces chlorine. I am thinking of getting a bottle. Any thoughts?

https://buckstovepoolandspa.com/shop...oxidizer-shock
    2.0 HP Pump
    TFT-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Ouch...I thought mine was bad several years ago at 47 after the "pool store" told me to dump in a 25 lb container of dry chlorine which by the way did bleach out my liner.....that was also my last trip to the pool store!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

It will work if you really need to use your pool. All it is is hydrogen peroxide, so if you can't get the oxidizer locally just get a few bottles of peroxide from the store.

Honestly, if you don't plan to swim for a few days then the sun will burn it off quickly enough that it might not be worth the cost. As was said before, any possible damage is likely already done.

Have you measured it today?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    If you have full sun daily until monday it's possible-your swimsuit will likely pay a price.
    And anyone that uses hair dye. Green hair could be the new rage!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights View Post
    And anyone that uses hair dye. Green hair could be the new rage!

Just for clarity. high chlorine doesn't cause green hair, copper in the water does.

Now what it might do to that pretty new dye job, I don't know....might bleach it out?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

19. Back To Top    #19

I have tested for copper and had none but the girls hair still turned green, must have had that copper in the blonde dye
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

20. Back To Top    #20

I didn't test it today. I will first thing in the morning. While I was at work, I had my mother backwash to dump water and then refill. Unfortunately, we only get about 5 hours of direct sun on our pool.
    2.0 HP Pump
    TFT-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast