Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Setting Pump Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Chico, CA

Help Setting Pump Speed

New pool owner. Trying to figure out all this stuff.

To save energy, I just had a new Pentair Superflo VS pump installed. This is the new 2015 version #342001. Is there a simple way to figure out what speed to program to clean the water and how long to run at that speed?

I don't have any features, and the sweep has its own pump.

I would like to run the filter as little as possible to maximize energy savings. I would like to just run it at the speed that maximizes efficiency and minimizes run time. Does'nt need to be exact, just a ballpark.
    20,000 gallon inground gunite pool. 1.5hp Whisperflo Filter Pump. Pentair FNS PLUS DE Filter 48 sqft.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Help Setting Pump Speed

You want the lowest speed where the skimmer(s) still skims effectively. I would try around 1400 RPM to start and adjust up down from there and see how things go.

Four hours of run time is enough for nearly all pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Help Setting Pump Speed

I love my VSpump. It is cheap to run, quiet, you can pump however much water you want. Our one pump runs the filter, solar and waterfall. Here is what I do.
    1100 rpm to filter, skimmer and SWG. I get good skimming action the SWG is happy and it only draws 150watts.
    When solar heat is available it kicks up to 1950 rpm and draws @500watts and gives plenty of flow through the solar panels.
    I usually run 1500 to run the waterfall and/or extra suction for the bottom drain for brushing.

I had to do a little experimenting to find the best speeds to run, but it is as easy as pushing a couple of buttons.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach