Need some help

May 11, 2015
Surprise, AZ
Hi everyone i need some help with my sheer descent that we are doing on our pool the original plan called for just tile on the face and the cool deck going around and on top. today i had a meltdown because i really don't think that's what i want to have on there. can anyone provide any input or ideas? my original goal was to have stacked stone on there but from the looks of it it seems to add another 2k to the cost any way to get around this?

thanks

I'm sorry you had a meltdown today. Those are awful and plain exhausting - I know from experience especially since we started our pool build.

I haven't heard of cool deck on top of a raised beam, but I'm new to this whole pool building business. What I do know is that travertine on top and stacked stone on the front will be gorgeous! I love that look. It was one of the first inspiration photos I printed for my pool wish book. I'm going for similar looks on my pool, so you know I love it.

And you know you've done the right thing when you get excited about it. It's a little sad but so true..... $650 isn't that bad when considering what these "Cement Ponds" cost (are you old enough to get that???). I'm pretty good with budgets, but still, sometimes I do the old per-time cost of things to make myself feel better. So if you plan to enjoy your pool for 10 years, that beautiful raised beam and sheer descent will only be costing you $65 a year! Or, $5.42 a month. And if you have your pool longer than 10 years, then it's even cheaper! See, it's a bargain! Definitely worth your pleasure.

Don't work yourself into a melt down alone. Someone around here will talk you out of it! Take care. Suz.

thanks Suz! my pool builder is fine, i just feel like i was very forced into certain choices that were not the vision i had in the beginning. i also feel like our sales guy is not very good at designing things. when i told him i wanted the cool deck off the top and the sides he went to travertine on the top and sides. any pictures i see online don't show the travertine being on the sides its usually the stacked stone on the sides.

I think you're right. It sounds like he hasn't been looking around online very much. If there are more changes you want to make, print out pictures of them. When I first began thinking about a pool in January, I think I printed over a 100 photos of things I thought I might be interested in. Pinterest was a huge help. Since I'm not great at design, it helped me start weeding out things. My tastes began to evolve. Now I'm down to just a handful of pictures left.

You may not need to do that for yourself, but it might help the PB or the designer. Today, when they told me it wasn't possible to have the joints match on the spa coping, I just pulled out several pictures I had where they were matching. The men couldn't say it was impossible then. They also seem to respond better to a picture in hand. Some cell phone screens are hard to see the bright sunlight. When they were constructing my spiral steps and bump out bench, they kept the pictures (in plastic sleeves) outside with them and kept referring to them. They had never build those two things before now.

Well, just some options to think about. And gee, you didn't even have to ask me to butt in!! Lucky you! Have a great weekend. Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.