Trouble since filter change

Jmarkt

May 22, 2011
I put a new cartridge filter in, same brand, same size. Problem is over night the housing will get a lot of air in it. I bleed the air off in the morning and it will have air in it again in it the next day. The pump is still circulating. Cant see any air bubbles going through strainer. Housing is showing it is pressured up. I can't figure out how the air is getting in.

What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have the old filter? Can you put it back and make the problem go away?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, just noticed member since 2011 and first post. Congrats!

Air getting into the tank points to a suction side air leak. I'll recycle my usual response. You might also try using the search box for suction side air leaks.

Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.

What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have the old filter? Can you put it back and make the problem go away?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, just noticed member since 2011 and first post. Congrats!

Yes I have the old filter and the problem goes away when I go back to the old filter. Thats what is so baffling. I think I am over thinking the problem and some how overlooking it. Tomorrow I will spend some time and try to get it figured out. Also this is a great site, I have solved many problems just from reading…..Thanks for the replies. I will use the search feature.

It sounds like you may not have got the housing seal back together well. This will show up as air getting sucked back into the filter when the pump is off for several hours; but after you bleed it, everything is fine until after the next shut down period. Basically, water is being allowed to siphon out of the filter and be replaced by air coming in from a bad housing seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.