Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Greenville AL

Do I need to add algaecide if my pool has algae in it or will the shock get rid of it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Algae

Welcome to TFP!

No. Algaecide is not particularly effective against an algae bloom and we don't recommend using it (except is some unrelated special situations).

Chlorine alone is more than enough to get rid of algae (used properly).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

Welcome to TFP Janice!

As JasonLion said, algaecide isn't much help when there is already an algae problem. It is mostly useful as a preventative, but we don't really recommend it here. In fact I haven't added an algaecide to my pool in years and have had much better water quality than I ever did then.

Have you done much reading here, or is this your first visit to the site? If it is your first visit you may want to review this: What is Trouble Free Pool Care? It will give you an idea of what we do here and how we do it. A lot more information is available in the Pool School (the green link below) if you are so inclined.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

Georgetown, ON, Canada

Hi Janice, and what hasnt been mentioned yet is the TFP method of treating algae, which is called a SLAM. It is an ongoing process which is continued until the water is clear and testing confirms it. It is not just putting in "shock" once or twice, or adding some algaecide.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Welcome to TFP. You have been given some great information. Do you have a recommended test kit?
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Algaecide is best as a profit center for the pool store. The good ones have some use for winterizing. The bad ones don't do much except deplete chlorine, and the worst ones leave copper behind which gives you a bunch of green-haired kids.

Pool Store "shock" powders have their disadvantages, too. They either leave behind cyanuric acid or Calcium. Too much CYA will lead to what pool stores call "Chlorine Lock" and too much Calcium can lead to scale formation; sort of grow-your-own sandpaper on the walls.

"Shocking" your pool the pool store way generally doesn't work. Consider algae to be an infection. Chlorine is the antibiotic. The pool store will have you gulp the whole bottle of pills at once. Our way is to dose regularly until the infection is completely eradicated. To do it our way requires a proper test kit.

Some Inspirational Threads.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!