Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing

May be a stupid question (and probably is), but would it be possible to develop a more accurate CYA measurement test based on capillary action of the turbidity solution created by the Taylor/TF-100 kits? My (ignorant) thinking is that the more turbid the solution, i.e. higher CYA, then lower the capillary action? If so, then it wouldn't be too difficult to develop a graduated set of capillary tubes, would it? Before I go out and buy some tubes to test I thought I'd run the base presumption past the gurus here first.

Mike
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Testing

I'm not really an expert on capillary action, but my guess would be that it would be difficult to get consistent results given variations in cleaning of the tubes between uses and differences in surface tension at different borate levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

don't mean to hijack this thread but, I have a question about CYA testing Jason. My pool water was at 67 and didn't realize till after testing CYA. it came in at about 100. What affect would the lower temp cause, higher or lower reading
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

My experience has been lower at lower temps
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks mikech, I had better retest
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir