Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM- Chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM- Chlorine question

I have been learning from the site and love all of the information! I am starting to SLAM.
    I just got my Taylor k-2006 yesterday.
    PH 7.4
    TA 20
    CYA 35
    Before adding bleach (10% sodium Hypochlorite from Atwoods)

According to the Pool Math I needed to add 1 gallon+ 3quarts+ 2 cups bleach
    We have a 21x52 above ground vinyl. According to a calculator it holds MAX 11,300 gallons, I used this amount for SLAM/chlorine purpose.

CYA/Chlorine chart said I needed 16ppm (I rounded CYA to 40) to SLAM

Problem: I added correct amount (1 gallon and 3+quarts) measured my Chlorine with kit and it only showed a level of 10ppm. ( I used 20 drops of regent 0871 before it turned clear, using the 10 mL sample. (20 x.5 = 10ppm)). We are opening the pool so it is green. I know there are CC's.

Is this the correct amount of chlorine or do I need to add more?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM- Chlorine question

Welcome to TFP!

You should raise the TA to at least 60 as soon as practical.

A green pool consumes chlorine rapidly. It is hardly surprising that FC didn't get as high as you intended, some of it got used up right away. That is what happens when you are fighting algae. You want to test the FC level, and raise the FC level back to shock level as often as practical, as often as hourly (especially on the first day) to get ahead of the algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Could I raise the TA while adding chlorine today (using baking soda)? I was afraid of raising the PH too much. I will add 2 more gallons of chlorine.
    Should I backwash before adding? I didn't want to lose any chlorine, but I want to keep sand filter as clean as possible.

Thanks so much. I have already drained 2/3 (CYA was 100 from a year of pucks), refilled pool, lowered PH from somewhere above 8. This site has walked me through it all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Greetings Sleding! Probably goes without saying, but ..... yep .....start stocking-up on that bleach/liquid shock! You're going to use it. Also, when you get a moment, you might consider adding a signature to your profile with all of your pool info for easy reference later. It helps TFP folks evaluate your situation quickly and more accurately. See my signature or JasonLions in this thread as examples. Best of luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Call the local hardware stores to see if you can get 5 gallon jugs of liquid chlorine if you want to save a few bucks. I get 5 gallons of 12.5 percent for under 14 dollars.

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you can raise the TA while other things are going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! These guys will get you straightened out if you listen to them!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the help.

I added 2 more gallons after initial post and brought TC? to about 25 I just retested (about 2 hours) and I am down to 19.5.

I am heading to store for more bleach!

I have pics from beginning and will post when I can figure out how to upload!
    **Sarah**

21x52 Above Ground Vinyl (About 11000 gallons)
    Standard Sand Filter
    K-2006 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! The best way to post pics is upload them to photobucket then copy the IMG code and paste it here.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

This was after refilling. It is shaded, but was dark green, almost black

This is after first 2 bottles. Some improvement.

Pool#3.jpg
    Current. Lots of yuck settling. Keeping Chlorine up!

- - - Updated - - -

All this is one day !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sleding; 06-02-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: remove pics
    **Sarah**

Standard Sand Filter
    K-2006 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Make sure you're vacuuming or using the leaf rake/bag to clean the bottom. Even if you can't see. You want to get as much gunk out as possible. I found a pile of it in the middle of my pool almost a week into the slam, after vacuuming and raking a LOT!
    Pool Owner since 2013 . 15'x48" AG Intex Metal Frame . 4500 Gallons . Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice to see the transition.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

***update**

20 gallons of bleach, 2 weeks (3 days out of town ), about 10 inches of rain and a whole lot of testing...later..

Still needs a little clearing, keeping chlorine up until 'crystal'. Wanting to get DE, but have not been anywhere to get some.

No CCs <.5 as of yesterday
    **Sarah**

Standard Sand Filter
    K-2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

** update**

Got the idea of panty hose from this site.
    After 2 days of using old panty hose, the pool looks amazing !!!

I cannot believe the amount of stuff they were catching: tiny bugs, loads of hair ( my 2 girls have waist length), fuzz, and some small white particles (dead algae I assume).

Trying to upload a pic, but not able to now. Thanks for all the help.
    **Sarah**

Standard Sand Filter
    K-2006 Test Kit