How does this bid look? Anything missing wrong? Needed clairification?

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Engineering/Permits/Working Drawing

Engineering for Pools and Spa
350.00$

Standard Soils Report
1,360.00$

Deputy inspector
600.00$
Permits
1,650.00$

TOTAL 3,960.00

Utilities: Pentair
1 Control System RS8 (Includes In House, In Spa Remote) $2450
1 400,000 BTU Heater 400 Sta-Rite LoNox $2751
1 Booster Pump $888
1 Intelliflow 4 X 160 Variable Speed Pump VS3050 $1453
1 DE Filter Pentair FNS-60 60 Sq.ft. Filter $1007
2 LED Color Lights for pool and spa $450 each
1 Salt System (Salt Sanitizer water purification System) Free Promo until 6/1/15
1 Pool Skimmer (Small) $350 ( SHOULD I GET 2)

Total Equip $9,864.

Pool and Spa
Excavation /Forming with Tractor (up to 10 hours)Total Depth to be no more then 6.5 Feet Deep $ 6,800.00
Rebar to include Free standing pool detail #4 $4900
Raised Bond Beam $998
Electrical Runs/Programming Plumbing with returns 5 low end returns for low end heating $6750
Shot Crete sulfate resistant @ 4500 PSI to include 4 all areas from waterline tile up to be Therosealed) $10955
Pool & Spa White Plaster 2 to 3 coats $4785 ** Add $4850 if Pebble product used, Sheen or Tec, any color.

Total $39888 with plaster $44738 with pebble tec or sheen.

Pool Finishes
115Linear Ft.
Spa & Pool water line in a travertine Mosaic Tile all areas of pool/Spa where tile will be installed will get 2 coats of theroseal before tile will be applied 2,415.00
20 Sq.Ft. Natural stone per plans as a veneering on all raised areas on pool 700.00
110 Linear Ft.Pool Coping. 5CM Travertine Coping Single Bullnose around pool . Price to include 10% waste factor to keep all grout joints equal distance apart 4,400.00

Total $7515

Drainage costs added $2191
Demo costs (concrete etc) $4000
working drawings $1250
Concrete 160 SF $1600
Pavers 950SF $10450
Equip walls/pad/gate $2400

So total for pool, plumbing, drains, gas, electric, all hardscape etc is about $92k. Plus another $10k for landscaping, plants, lighting, etc.

Oh and I have to take out a tree, replace 62 feet of fence at the rear as it's 4' tall, replace my side gate as it's 52" wide (48"max).

Awesome!

You need a few bids to get a better picture of if this is a good bid. California is expensive. We had a bid for all of our changes that was over $140K. We are doing the pool currently for $65K and $22K for all of our decking, retaining walls, concrete pads, steps etc...Fences will be about $4k more. Replacement/new landscaping hasn't been figured out yet.

Some of your numbers look pretty good - Concrete decking @ $10 sq/ft is about right. Our pebble upgrade was about the same as yours.

We had 7 builders come out to bid - 6 we took bids from - The 2 we really liked were close to each other in price, and by chance were our lowest bids. We are in the Bay Area so prices might be a little higher up here.

Overall that looks good.

I would go for a larger filter, perhaps a Quad DE 80 or 100. Larger filters can go longer between cleanings, which is really nice.

Another thing to consider, a booster pump powered pool cleaner will cost a fair bit in electricity to run. You might want to consider either a cleaner that can be powered by the main pump, or a robot (which uses the least electricity).

Should be a pretty awesome pool! Most of the equipment is a little marked up over what you can purchase it for yourself, but nothing drastic. You may want to consider 3 LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa), especially since $450 is a pretty good price for them. The LED lights are a cool feature but just don't seem to put out as much light as compared to the traditional ones.

California is really expensive, just comes with the territory. As for comparison, a few hours north you can get a stamped spray-deck for <$5/sqft, 4500 strength as well. I bet you could negotiate that total price down, especially if the PB wants to land the job. Post some pics along the way, good luck!

The booster was recommeded due to the Spa, it can come out if not needed?

Thoughts on the Pump? there are so many Pentair VS pumps I am confused? They use 2.5" and 3 "PVC and do all the load calculations so no issues there.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be a pretty awesome pool! Most of the equipment is a little marked up over what you can purchase it for yourself, but nothing drastic. You may want to consider 3 LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa), especially since $450 is a pretty good price for them. The LED lights are a cool feature but just don't seem to put out as much light as compared to the traditional ones.

California is really expensive, just comes with the territory. As for comparison, a few hours north you can get a stamped spray-deck for <$5/sqft, 4500 strength as well. I bet you could negotiate that total price down, especially if the PB wants to land the job. Post some pics along the way, good luck!

California is a joke for any "deals". I am putting a 3rd light in, 2 in the pool 1 in the spa. This is a pretty large builder, I am trying to work some things but not sure they "need" my job. I am not sure I want to go with the PB who really needs it. Thanks for the recs. I will post a build thread once we get going.

attached is the design I did, it's not art but it gives you an idea. It's the top drawing.

IMG_3924.JPG

Not all of Ca is expensive, I'm up north (Sacramento) and I'm OB on a 15x32 sport pool, no spa. I'm just finishing the dig. Pricing really depends on what you're willing to take on. If you want someone to come in and do everything, there's a cost to that, if you want to GM the job, you'll save a few bucks. For comparison on pricing; I went online for pool design and engineering and had permit ready blueprints for $1k. Permit in Placer County cost me $500. Although I dug the pool myself, I had bids of $3.3k. I'm doing the plumbing myself, but again, my bid on plumbing was only $1.4K Not only am I saving on labor, but material cost as well. For example, you can get a skimmer for $100. My iron work is costing me $2k. Your lights pricing is close, but its expected that the PB put a margin in everything. I'm a bit surprised your PB gave you such detail of pricing.
Not trying to create any issues, just pointing out that making a general statement about CA pricing is not completely with merit. It's more region based, I would say.

Not all of Ca is expensive, I'm up north (Sacramento) and I'm OB on a 15x32 sport pool, no spa. I'm just finishing the dig. Pricing really depends on what you're willing to take on. If you want someone to come in and do everything, there's a cost to that, if you want to GM the job, you'll save a few bucks. For comparison on pricing; I went online for pool design and engineering and had permit ready blueprints for $1k. Permit in Placer County cost me $500. Although I dug the pool myself, I had bids of $3.3k. I'm doing the plumbing myself, but again, my bid on plumbing was only $1.4K Not only am I saving on labor, but material cost as well. For example, you can get a skimmer for $100. My iron work is costing me $2k. Your lights pricing is close, but its expected that the PB put a margin in everything. I'm a bit surprised your PB gave you such detail of pricing.
Not trying to create any issues, just pointing out that making a general statement about CA pricing is not completely with merit. It's more region based, I would say.

I think the cost of anything in CA is high compared to the rest of the country, Orange County is really bad, but you are correct you can save $$ doing OB. I just don't want the headache so I will be using a builder. YMMV

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.