Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Picking New VS Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Picking New VS Pump

Peco is offering $200 rebates on VS pumps and it got me thinking....

Current Setup
    @30,000 gallons
    Pump AO Smith 1hp SF 1.65
    1 skimmer
    1 return for Polaris 360
    1 (split to 2 near pool) return
    48 sq ft DE
    1.5" pipe

IMG_2323.jpg

My goals
    1. Be able to support SWG
    2. Possibly run Polaris with out have to direct more water to it than the DE
    3. Save $ on electricity
    4. Be able to support heater addition in the future

I was looking at the Pentair VS 3hp 01108 (I know my 1.5" pipe won't allow it to run at full speed) but I think it is overkill?
    Would a Pentair VS Superflow 1.5 hp be better and meet my goals?
    Are there other VS pumps in the 1.5 to 2.0 hp range that would be better?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    30,000 In-ground Pool
    48 sq ft DE
    Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Picking New VS Pump

Welcome to TFP!

To save the most money you want to replace the motor on your existing pump with a two speed motor. The extra costs of a VS pump will not pay back over the lifetime of the pump compared to the much less expensive motor replacement. All of your goals will work as well as they can work either with a VS or a two speed.

If you do go for a VS pump, the SuperFlo VS is fine, but if you are willing to consider a Hayward pump the MaxFlo VS is just a little more efficient.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. So if i get say the MaxFlow VS... will it allow me to run the polaris with out directing all the water to the cleaner return? Right now when I run the cleaner... i have to turn the valve so that almost all the water goes that way.

Also the pump is located maybe 40 feet from pool if that makes a difference in anything.
    30,000 In-ground Pool
    48 sq ft DE
    Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4

Either of the VS pumps is going to be roughly equivalent to your current pump when they are run on full speed. While there may be minor changes in available water flow, chances are you will continue to need to direct all of the water to the cleaner for it to work correctly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So I was doing some research... what about the Hayward SP3200VSP Tristar VS... Little more bells and whistles in the timer/control. I think I can get it for $589 after rebate which is only really $100 more than the new maxflo SP2302VSP. Is it worth the $100?
    30,000 In-ground Pool
    48 sq ft DE
    Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

The TriStar VS is a good pump, but I have never seen the point in picking it over either a MaxFlo VS (less expensive) or the EcoStar (more powerful and more flexible), depending on your needs.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a pentair vs intelliflo pump working off of Intellitouch and it works great, work everything off my iPhone or mobile controller, everything is automated
    18' x 30' Completely Automated Fox Pool
    2 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps
    Pentair 250 HD Heater
    Pentair Cartridge Filter & IC 20 Chlorinator
    Intellitouch i10 Automation & Sheer Descent x 3