Newbie from south Mississippi and recovering poolstoreaholic

Hey everyone.

First off, I just want to say how helpful this site has been for me. Y'all are a Godsend for real!
So here's my situation...

12,000 gal IG pool, vinyl liner. Hayward pump and sand filter. Very very very (emphasis on the very) high water table. Like 2 feet. Essentially, I live in the swamp. If we get a lot of rain, which we have this year, my liner with the pool full of water, floats up. But that's an issue for another day.

So my pump when out when I was on vacation last week. I came home to pretty much a green pool. I though this was strange since I shocked it good and left some pucks floating while I was gone. I though for sure there would be enough chlorine to get me thru the week even with the pump going out. I went to the pool store for a new pump and took my water sample in. My CYA was thru the roof. Like probably over 200. And my pH was under 6.5. Pool store guy told me to drain 50% and refill and bring a sample back. Instead I found this place and began to drain refill drain refill bleach drain refill test.

I think I've gotten rid of about 50% of my water. It was tough to do with the high water table.
Last night at 10 I dumped a gal of bleach in and left the filter running all night.
Today at 11 I tested and these are my numbers (using Taylor k2006)

CYA - 85-90 I'm going to try to manage at this level for now. I need the pool open this weekend.
FC -9.0
PH - still low. Added ph-UP just a little big ago. Will retest in a few hours.
TA - 40ppm

The water looks good. It's no longer green (vacuumed most algae to waste during draining) just a little bit cloudy. I think I am on the right track, but would appreciate some additional pointers. I know I still need to lower my CYA, but hoping I can manage for now. Plus, we get a ton of rain which should help with additional dilution (wishful thinking maybe).

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to TFP! Have you read Pool School? I recommend the ABC's of pool water Chemestry and Recommended levels. I know you David you already used PH up. In the future there is no need to use that, we don't recommend it. Congrats on your test kit too!

- - - Updated - - -

Your TA is also low.

Hi and welcome to TFP, you are in the right place to get the help you need. I'm not an expert on either vinyl pools or high water tables I live in the desert, and we only have high rock tables and temperatures!), but someone with the requisite knowledge will be along shortly. In the meantime check the Chlorine/CYA Chart this will show you the shock level you need to maintain in order to clear your water up, and kill all the algae, and from a quick check it looks like you need to be at 35ppm of FC with the CYA level of 90 that you have.. Also read the SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain section, this will guide you through the process of returning your pool to a sparkling oasis.

Moving forward, you need to check the FC level constantly about every 1 to 2 hours and keep it above you required shock level at all times. Letting it fall below will allow all the hungry algae that isn't dead to feast on your chlorine. Keep brushing (be very thorough - steps, behind lights, skimmers), and keep your pump running. Backwash your filter when you about 25% over the clean level.

If I've missed anything, I know someone will fill in the gaps. Keep in mind that once your FC goes over 10ppm your PH readings are worthless. Keep going, don't give up, you're on the right track. If you can, post pictures.

I have been reading the pool school info for the past couple of days. I think I am starting to put it all together! I used the pHup because that's what I have on hand and I haven't read that it would do any harm.

Thanks for the info. Some how I missed the chlorine/CYA chart. I'll keep on top on the chlorine testing... Back when the CYA was really high, I added a gallon of bleach at night and my FC was at 0 by 10 in the morning. No bueno!

The FC - CYA relationship is the most important thing that you need to understand at this point. You also need to understand when you can let your FC level drift down to maintenance level.

Use the chart to find your shock level and keep the FC level there until you can pass the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT), have clear water, and CC below .5. At that point, you can lower the chlorine level to your maintenance target level. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.