green to this in a day

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
I opened the pool yesterday, and it was murky green with algae growing up the wall. As you can see below, it turned around FAST. It turned blue in like an hour and got all foamy on top. I'm curious why this time around went so quickly while last year it took a week and had some questions.

First:
FC 16
PH 8.2 (just added acid to adjust down)
CYA between 30 and 40
TA 80

Yesterday when I took CYA I got a higher reading of 40 to 50 my guess due to it being cloudy out whIle sunny today. Hence the higher FC than I needed. Is that extra FC the reason it turned so quickly? Was that potentially harmful to my equipment?

Also, the water temp was in the low 50s. Does the cold water aid in battling algae?

Except for my question regarding potential harm to equipment, I'm pretty thrilled, I was prepared to slog through another week of fighting this stuff.

Here's the pic:
20150521_111713.jpg

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but thought I'd let you know that I had a similar experience this year! (My second season with the pool) I opened late April with green 50 degree water, gave it a couple gallons of bleach and boom...it's been beautiful ever since. I'm absolutely thrilled with how easy it is this year after learning TFP!

Your equipment will be fine.
Water temp definitely helps. Even though algae can grow in colder temps, say 50ish something, its slow to multiply.
In water 70 degrees and up, alage can double in as little as 6 hours, depending on specific conditions.

Big difference in slamming when algae is slow, vs slamming when its doubling every few hours.

Chew, just so you know...if you open a litte earlier, like April, you can sometimes open clear and not need to slam at all. So if you enjoyed your hassle-free opening this year, adopt a practice to open even earlier and you'll be even more trouble free ;)

(I open the 3rd week of April and in 3 years have not once had a spec of green! Each time, I've still had a residual FC around 3 - 4 ppm.)

That's why TFP recommends closing late eg.cold and opening early e.g. cold :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.