Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: green to this in a day

1. Back To Top    #1

green to this in a day

I opened the pool yesterday, and it was murky green with algae growing up the wall. As you can see below, it turned around FAST. It turned blue in like an hour and got all foamy on top. I'm curious why this time around went so quickly while last year it took a week and had some questions.

First:
    FC 16
    PH 8.2 (just added acid to adjust down)
    CYA between 30 and 40
    TA 80

Yesterday when I took CYA I got a higher reading of 40 to 50 my guess due to it being cloudy out whIle sunny today. Hence the higher FC than I needed. Is that extra FC the reason it turned so quickly? Was that potentially harmful to my equipment?

Also, the water temp was in the low 50s. Does the cold water aid in battling algae?

Except for my question regarding potential harm to equipment, I'm pretty thrilled, I was prepared to slog through another week of fighting this stuff.

Here's the pic:
    24,300 gallons, IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Series S244T sand filter, 3ft to 9ft deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: green to this in a day

The pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm ... you should not adjust the pH which SLAMing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, shoot. Thanks for the reminder.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but thought I'd let you know that I had a similar experience this year! (My second season with the pool) I opened late April with green 50 degree water, gave it a couple gallons of bleach and boom...it's been beautiful ever since. I'm absolutely thrilled with how easy it is this year after learning TFP!
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your equipment will be fine.
    Water temp definitely helps. Even though algae can grow in colder temps, say 50ish something, its slow to multiply.
    In water 70 degrees and up, alage can double in as little as 6 hours, depending on specific conditions.

Big difference in slamming when algae is slow, vs slamming when its doubling every few hours.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses everyone!

7. Back To Top    #7

Chew, just so you know...if you open a litte earlier, like April, you can sometimes open clear and not need to slam at all. So if you enjoyed your hassle-free opening this year, adopt a practice to open even earlier and you'll be even more trouble free

(I open the 3rd week of April and in 3 years have not once had a spec of green! Each time, I've still had a residual FC around 3 - 4 ppm.)

That's why TFP recommends closing late eg.cold and opening early e.g. cold
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains