870 powder old?

Hi, opened pool 4 days ago, using three year old TF100 test kit, all levels where they should be except free chlorine
I followed same routine and amounts added at start up as past few years to get it going

PH -7.4
CYA - 65 (from 3 gals added)
salt-3200 (from 8 bags)
FC-0 after 3 gallons

Usually 3 gals liquid chlorine does me just fine, cant get any reading though, I can smell the chlorine in the water also
water is crystal clear and clean.

I'm now wondering if the 870 DPD grey powder is old now and not working??? Three year old TF100 kit.
any suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Ed

The R-0870 powder does tend to clump up and darken in color over time. You may need to break up the clumps, but it will continue to work for many years. On the other hand, the R-0871 liquid does tend to go bad after two or three years, and more quickly if it is stored in sunlight or gets too hot or freezes.

There are some things that can cause FC to be persistently at zero. With a TF100 you should have the simpler OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample various shades of yellow). That is a wonderful way to find out if the FC level is actually zero or if there is something wrong with your FAS-DPD chlorine test. The OTO test isn't good at telling what the chlorine level really is, but it is great at saying chlorine vs no chlorine.

Thanks Folks
Just retested with 870 powder and simple drop test into plastic color gage, again negative for chlorine.

Just Added two more gals of liquid chlorine, water turned greenish, and for the heck of it I tested water to see if 870 powder still good, apparently it is because FCh at 10.0 and CC 0. So I'll recheck tonight after last 2 gals just put in is dispersed and see then. Just very unusual for it to take 6 gals before any registering, usually 4 gets me to FC8 or so after start up.

Thoughts???
Just checked water this am at 8:00. Still greenish from adding the two gals of liqiud Chlirine yetserday. So far 6 gals since opening last Sunday. Also added my 4th gal of liquid conditioner for my CYA.
FC-3.5-4.0 (using 870 powder and backed up by using simple plastic gage also)
CC-0
PH-7.2
CYA-70
salt-3200

I guess I'm happy that I finally have a reading of FC after 6 gals, but normally 4 at start up takes me up to 8.0 FC. Should I wait til water clears from greenish to add more liquid conditioner to bump it up to 8.0 or so??

Thanks
Ed

Thoughts???
Just checked water this am at 8:00. Still greenish from adding the two gals of liqiud Chlirine yetserday. So far 6 gals since opening last Sunday. Also added my 4th gal of liquid conditioner for my CYA.
FC-3.5-4.0 (using 870 powder and backed up by using simple plastic gage also)
CC-0
PH-7.2
CYA-70
salt-3200

I guess I'm happy that I finally have a reading of FC after 6 gals, but normally 4 at start up takes me up to 8.0 FC. Should I wait til water clears from greenish to add more liquid conditioner to bump it up to 8.0 or so??

Thanks
Ed

Ed,

Not sure what you are trying to do to yourself, but if you already have a CYA of 70, the last thing on earth I would be doing is adding more. Also, I don't understand the green color. Chlorine doesn't turn a pool green. Have you used any copper based chemicals? With that high a number for CYA, you are going to have to maintain about twice as much FC as you have, now.

If the green is algae, you are looking at a SLAM of 31+ PPM..... Something is apparently eating your chlorine.... From just reading, I'm pretty sure the green is algae. Perform the OCLT and dose accordingly.

ewkearns, either copper or iron in the water can color the water a clear transparent green after chlorine is added. Copper is more of a rich emerald green, while iron is really yellow but can look green if the pool is otherwise blue.

ewkearns, either copper or iron in the water can color the water a clear transparent green after chlorine is added. Copper is more of a rich emerald green, while iron is really yellow but can look green if the pool is otherwise blue.

My apologies Jason, I meant "should I wait til water clears to add more Chlorine to it (not conditioner)??

Reason I say the chlorine caused the greenish tint is because three days ago when I added a gal of liquid chlorine, water turned greenish, but by following morning had cleared beautifully. Now, again yesterday after adding two gals of chlorine to clear pool water, turned greenish within 1/2 hour. This am, seems clearer but still a greenish tint. I am expecting this tint to probably be gone by tomorrow am after another day of filtering.

I do have a "copper out" jug available, not sure though I need. Only other thing I addded over last two days was a sprinkling of "PH Up" to raise the PH to current level of 7.2.

Ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the green tint only appears when you add large amounts of chlorine and goes away within a day or two it is almost certainly metals of some kind in the water. Typically some of the metals will be filtered out when this happens, but never all. There isn't anything to worry about in the short run, but longer term you should be aware that there is potential for metal staining.

Hi Folks,
Pool still greening after adding chlorine.

Clears quickly though after adding "Copper Out". Is there a way (product) to remove all the metals in the water permanently since I need to add the "copper out" every time I add chlorine to restore the clear water? Also, what metals test is there to determine amount of metals in the water, I have the TF100 kit.

FC=6
CC=0
CYA=70
Thanks again
Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.