Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FNG, well sorta. Leslie's says....Do this.....

1. Back To Top    #1

FNG, well sorta. Leslie's says....Do this.....

OK. I bought the super duper test kit but I have yet to master its use. I travel A LOT and when I get home I typically hoist several and just jump in the deep end. Please excuse my lazy deportment.

My T Cell failed, so I bought a rebuilt unit (T-15) from Salt Solutions in FL (If I remember their name correctly). I added a half a bag of salt and let it rip.

Yesterday on a whim I took some water to The Big L and this is what came back.

FAC 2
    TAC 2

ph 7.6

TA 70

CYA 60

Calcium Hardness 150

NaCL 3200

Phosphates 2500

They suggested 4 LB of Alkalinity UP and 15 pounds of Hardness Plus. Nothing more.

My questions....

1. What are my best and least expensive options for the two chems they suggest? I thought Alkaline was the 7-14 ph range and things were OK. Am I smoking Ganja?

2. What do I do, if anything, about the Phosphate level? I seem to recall that it can just be ignored.

The pool is crystal clear and the beer is ice cold. The tequila and lime are also wonderful, as are the Gin n Tonics. Squeezie is wearing a very very small, chartreuse skimpy and Sinatra is crooning in the background. Life is very, very good.
    8-10,000 Gallon In Ground Pleasure Pond. Probably 15 (?) years old.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Eight Passive Solar Heating Panels. 1HP single speed motor.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FNG, well sorta. Leslie's says....Do this.....

Ignore the phosphates. Are you sure the TA reading is correct?
    What test do you have? Maybe test yourself to see what you get. We don't trust ps readings.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TA can't be 7.6, typically it is somewhere around 50-120. Chances are you don't need to raise TA, but there is no way to know without knowing your current level. If you do need to raise TA, use baking soda from the grocery store. It is exactly the same as what they would sell you but much less expensive (and higher purity).

Since you have a vinyl liner pool there is no reason to raise calcium.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought the big kahuna kit, but have yet to master its use. Unfort, I am on the road for 9 days. I will endeavor to fire that mother up upon my return and give you some mo' betta' intel WRT my chem.

SORRY TYPo TA is 70!!!!
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Sorry, I don't know what the big kahuna kit is.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

TA at 70 is just fine. No need to raise it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the TF 100. Sorry. Its big. Really big.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello VA Beach neighbor!

*Which* big kahuna kit.

Taylor K 2006?
    Taylor K 2005?
    TF-100?

Or...is there really a kit called the big kahuna that we don't know about.

Hopefully everything is working while you're away. Would hate for you to return to something swampy! Temps are pretty cool for a couple days but we are back into the upper 80s next week! Pool weather!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Lol, no worries! I love my TF 100! Once you use it a few times, you will get the hang of it. I can do every test without reading the instructions now because they are all etched in my mind...lol
    Lisa

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have the TF 100. Sorry. Its big. Really big.
    LOL

Most of us have that one. Yeah, it has a lot of stuff in it. But it's actually pretty simple to run the tests. There's even you tube videos to show you how if you like visuals instead of just reading...
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Lol, no worries! I love my TF 100! Once you use it a few times, you will get the hang of it. I can do every test without reading the instructions now because they are all etched in my mind...lol
    I am ALMOST at that point too lol. I have used it so much in the last week, that I may have to order more reagents before the end of summer.
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

It comes with instructions you have to read ?? I prefer the videos https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

When you're starting out it's nice to use "show and tell"
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    It comes with instructions you have to read ?? I prefer the videos https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

When you're starting out it's nice to use "show and tell"
    And the video I've seen are courtesy of TFP!

sent from the device my boss pays the bill for, so I should be working instead of posting here
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I have already ordered more twice...lol
    Lisa

15. Back To Top    #15

If the Ps numbers could be trusted, I'd pop some fc in there pronto. At cya 60 your FC should be 7.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    That's awesome Lisa. I remember when you were a newbie!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Lol. I catch on quick.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

Jeff,
    if you get around to learning how to use your Test Kit, you will be doing yourself a favor. Its the best investment you can make for you pool.

With respect to the test results posted. All you need to do is jump in.
    there is no need to raise TA.
    Since you have a vynal pool, there is no need to mantain any CH. As long as it doesnt get sky high then no need to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK. I bought the super duper test kit but I have yet to master its use. I travel A LOT and when I get home I typically hoist several and just jump in the deep end. Please excuse my lazy deportment.

My T Cell failed, so I bought a rebuilt unit (T-15) from Salt Solutions in FL (If I remember their name correctly). I added a half a bag of salt and let it rip.

Yesterday on a whim I took some water to The Big L and this is what came back.

FAC 2
    TAC 2

ph 7.6

TA 70

CYA 60

Calcium Hardness 150

NaCL 3200

Phosphates 2500

They suggested 4 LB of Alkalinity UP and 15 pounds of Hardness Plus. Nothing more.

My questions....

1. What are my best and least expensive options for the two chems they suggest? I thought Alkaline was the 7-14 ph range and things were OK. Am I smoking Ganja?

2. What do I do, if anything, about the Phosphate level? I seem to recall that it can just be ignored.

The pool is crystal clear and the beer is ice cold. The tequila and lime are also wonderful, as are the Gin n Tonics. Squeezie is wearing a very very small, chartreuse skimpy and Sinatra is crooning in the background. Life is very, very good.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!