How much does a new pool cost?

As Patrick said, a range of budget probably comes first. You can get into an inexpensive above ground for less than $1,000 or fancy custom in-ground pools can easily go to hundreds of thousands of dollars without trying too hard.

Welcome to TFP! I see you live in Pearland so I'll take a stab at your cost question for an IG pool. From what I've seen in most standard (cookie-cutter) neighborhoods in our area, IG pool sizes range from 10k-40K gallons. "Bare bones" minimal decking no water feature except for maybe a small hot-tub on the smaller end is about $35k. On the larger end, still bare bones $50K is a good estimate. The cost escalate quickly and drastically with landscape, water features (rocks, waterfalls, coves/caves, slides), deck features (fireplaces, cabana's and restrooms), larger decking (surface type). Add $10-$100K+ for that. As you can see it's a tough question and the major cost is in the extras! Good luck, take your time and have fun with it.

- - - Updated - - -

..oh and how could I forget the outdoor kitchen?!..and you gotta have one of those :) that alone can run $30K!!

Looks like there are several Texas builds going on right now. I'd reach out to someone near you and see if they wouldn't mind sharing their costs with you. In Vegas I've shared mine with several people and it's helped them with some decision making.

I agree Patrick, first set your budget and then back into it. I had two budgets, one for the pool excavation, plumbing, steel, shotcrete, tile, minimum decking required by city, plaster and equipment. Second budget was additional 1,500 sq ft of decking, gazebo and two options for landscaping, bare bones and more than bare-bones.

I have noticed that it is largely dependent on location. Two friends just had 25000 gallon gunite pools with spas built. One was 120k, the other 130k. I have seen similar builds in Florida go for 40k. My replaster was 14k, but I see some people on here have had it done for 6k or less.

For the Houston area, and Texas in general, Concrete inground pools of some type (Gunite, etc) are most popular, with fiberglass and vinyl following up as 2nd and a distant 3rd. I can't tell you why this is true, as here in SW Louisiana just 150 miles from Houston the order of popularity is the reverse, maybe it has to do with property values, or some cultural thing, or population density, or even building codes, who knows but a quick google search showed that the top 3 hits for vinyl pools houston, seem to specialize in liner replacement for older pools and not building new ones. I state all this to give you a bit of context when you are looking online since Gunite construction cost vary considerably, but probably due to volume of use are relatively low around Houston.

I live in the San Antonio area. I recently went through the process of getting price quotes on a basic IG 17X30 3.5 to 5ft deep pool. ~600 ft of basic concrete decking and the quotes ranged from 42k to 51k.

Update: I should have mention that was gunite/shotcrete quotes.

For some reason in San Antonio, the fiberglass was a little higher priced than gunite. Not a lot, but I always assumed FG would be less

It's also worth noting that the cost of an in ground can be broken down from low to high (build costs) based on the type of basic in ground installation.

Lowest to highest is:

Vinyl lined, fiberglass, gunite/concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
32x18 freeform with 8' spa, 5' deep, pebble sheen finish, good equip, all plumbing and electrical stone coping, tile. 160 SF concrete, 950 SF paver decking, equipment walls, block walls gate, and demo about $85k in So CA.
sorry left some stuff out. Pool equip, coping and tile about $53k

Hi Neighbor (relatively)! I'm in the middle of our pool build. The gunite has been shot, plumbing and electrical completed, and the tile guys are outside laying the coping as I type. I spoke to 4 area Pool Builders and their quotes were in the same ballpark as Jagger and Titan (surprised with the So CA quote).

I started with a budget lower than I knew I could do (about 10K lower) - hoping I might get lucky or at the least, allow myself some room to upgrade. That strategy worked fairly well. I think most people would agree that you can expect to add things as you go along - some expensive, some not so much. I think I am a little over my upgraded budget, but thankfully I don't have much time left to do any more damage to my bank account. It seems most people do end up spending more than they swore they would! You just get excited and you learn more as you go. I have read 1 or 2 cases where the people had great discipline and stayed on target with their budgets.

Oh, I set up 3 budgets rather than lumping them all together. Pool, decking, landscaping. I knew decking and landscaping could be shaved down and completed over a year or so. But many of the pool goodies need to go in at the time of the build.

You also need to consider your current and future situations - as best you can. For me, I've waited decades to have my own pool. This is my first and last pool, so I'm having fun. But there are many other situations that put a different slant on spending. For example, if you think you will be moving - that's a big one. I would never splurge if that was my situation.

Good luck! And welcome. TFP is awesome! Take care. Suz.

It also depends on what type of soil you have and the slope of your yard. I have both rock and a very sloped yard and I blew way past my initial 60k budget with no spa. So far I am about 5k above the original quote by making the pool slightly bigger, upgrading the filter, adding auto fill, etc...

Howdy neighbor, I'm also in Pearland in Shadow Creek Ranch. In ground pools in our area cost anywhere from 40K on up depending on what features you want and your yard. We recently had our pool built last year. Click on my build thread below to see.

There can be some additional/hidden costs outside of the actual pool, because many builders don't quote fencing, electrical & a winter cover, those you have to do on your own. Depending on yrou area and selections, electrical probably around $1500, fencing about $10-$15 per linear foot installed & winter cover $1200-$2000.

Just to show what different markets are, one of the local pool builders / pool stores here is running a special on an 18x36 basic traditional rectangular vinyl pool with 3 ft of concrete decking for $19,995 (price does not include permits or electrical)

Just to show what different markets are, one of the local pool builders / pool stores here is running a special on an 18x36 basic traditional rectangular vinyl pool with 3 ft of concrete decking for $19,995 (price does not include permits or electrical)

I think that type of deal exists in most markets. Typical add ons are going to be:
$750 for a light
$200 for a ladder
$2500 upgrade to larger size 18x40

Vinyl seems most popular here in SE VA. When I was shopping back in 2003, a nice size (around 20x40) ran in the low $20k range installed, including 3ft concrete decking all around, safety winter cover, automatic cleaner w/booster pump, SWCG, and of course pump/filter etc.

We added some extra decking and landscaping, so that drove our price up some.

I'm not sure what the going rate around here is now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.