What is this white stuff floating?

Jul 5, 2013
NJ
Hello all:wave:
For the last 2 years every summer during this time and for the next three months I become an active reader of this site. I am eternally grateful for all the advice and clearing up water chemistry fundamentals. This year I am strictly doing the BBB method as I wanted to exhaust my BUCKETS of chlorine tablets/granules I bought being new to pool ownership.
Opened the pool last week as water was mostly clear though I did see some dark spots on the pool wall in 2 places (not much). SLAMed it everything seems ok with spots disappearing. My question is regarding the white stuff floating in the pool (picture attached). This thin stuff dissolves when the water is touched/agitated so I don't see it when the pump is running. Otherwise the pool is clear and my numbers are for the most part ok. It sticks or surrounds around any debris if that's relevant. I have searched this site and read some posts pointing to algae but I am just not sure if I have the same problem.
FC = 8.5
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
CH = 220
CYA=55
ALK = 80 (side question- how do I raise it safely to 110 without impacting ph or should I just leave it as is?).
Ancillary info: in NJ , lots of pollen and the cartridge filter keeps getting up 10psi every 2/3 days of the pump running 9 hrs/day since I opened a 8 days ago. I drained the pool 1/3 and filled it with city water when I opened to get the cya down from 100 last year due to use of chlorine tablets.
Good day to you all!:gone:

Attachments

• 20150521_115209386_iOS.jpg
    20150521_115209386_iOS.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 162
I'll be interested in hearing responses to this. I just finished my slam a couple days ago and have been doing the OCLT for the last two nights just to be safe. Everything is checking out, but I do have this white stuff floating on top once I turn the pump off. I don't notice it right away, but when I get home from work I see it floating around. I was just chalking it up to stuff in the air getting trapped in the water (pollen and the like) because of passing the OCLT 3 nights in a row.

Looks like pollen to me. When I used a skimmer sock about a week ago it had a whole coating of the stuff. Weird creamy color mush.

Incidentally, when I used a damp towel to wipe the glass top table in my gazebo the other day, the buildup on the towel looked like the same exact stuff. It was just dusty looking (not like "OMG look at all this pollen!!") until I pushed the damp towel over it and then it gathered up just like the mush in the skimmer sock.

I have some of this lately as well. Mine is coming from Dandelions. The little white fluff glides in the breeze and drops in the pool.

My neighbor doesn't mow their huge back yard and they have thousands of dandelions...(thanks neighbor)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get this stuff, too, just a little earlier. I do not believe it to be pollen but something off my trees. We have a preponderance of White Oaks but I don't think it is from them. It'll go away in a couple of weeks and seems to have no affect on the pool's circulatory system.

Thanks for all your responses . Seems the majority is pointing to pollen and I do have a HUGE white oak 30 ft away. Plus yes the entire deck furniture, pool deck, now grill has a yellow coating on it. Let's see if it disappears in a week as pollen count goes down. A wider shot of the pool ..
c8c68ecfd4e82d822ca07758d45a9922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.