Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG pool in North Dakota winters

1. Back To Top    #1

Bismarck, nd

AG pool in North Dakota winters

Hello. I am looking to put in a AG pool in North Dakota. Not a soft side a rigid frame like a Doughboy ect. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has kept one year round in ND or similar weathered area. What do you do in the middle of winter when the temps are -30 for days at a time? I've had a soft sided intex that I take down every year but would like to upgrade a bit. Please advise me on wintering as leaving the pump on is never going to work!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: AG pool in North Dakota winters

Hello Nancy and welcome.

We have a member here with an in ground from ND. Not very many though but guess what? We have many members from Canada with hard sided pools and they do just fine for the most part.

You will have to winterize your pool. To do that, you would chemically prepare it, partially drain it, cover it and unhook the filter/pump and bring in for the winter (depending on what filter you chose).
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Welcome to TFP! This may help you.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Oakbank, Canada

I live in Manitoba where it also gets to -35 for the winter. Quite a few our neighbors with hard side pool leave them up all winter with no problems, just have to winterize it.
    Saying that, I still use a soft bodied Ultra which I take down every winter, but I am seriously considering leaving it next winter, after winterizing it of course. Just worried about how the liner will fair.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.