Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time sand filter owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time sand filter owner

Ok guys, I just upgraded my pump and filter to an Intex 2100 gph Sand filter. I followed the instructions to set it up and got it going. I noted the pressure on startup and it was about 9 (10 starts into the yellow zone). after about 30 minutes the pressure was up to 11 and the flow from the return was very slow. I would say about 1/10th of the flow compared to startup right after a backwash. So I backwashed again, rinsed, then set back to filter and all is well with pressure back to 9. but again after about 30 minutes the pressure is back up and flow is terrible. I ended up repeating this for like 2 hours last night before bed time. I didnt want to leave it running over night worried about the pressure so I set it on a timer to run for 30 minutes. This morning I went out first thing and turned it on. the flow was just ok and pressure at 11 so I went inside got ready for work and then came out and checked. pressure still at 11 but could barely feel and flow from the return. Backwash, rinse, filter and its flowing like a champ, but worried about it building pressure all day while I'm at work I turned it off.

does this sound normal for startup??? will this get better? is a pressure reading of 9 too much?? What am I missing? Help me out here. with the amount of backwashing and rinsing (replacing water) My chemistry is going to way out of whack.
    Intex Vinyl Liner 14' x 42" Ultra Frame 4,000 Gallon
    Krystal Clear 2100 gph Intex pump with Sand Filter
    Over the wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    Installed May 2014 filled with well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time sand filter owner

Well first, what is the condition of your pool water? Anything wrong?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds to me like you were overdue for an upgraded filter. It's doing what filters do. The big question is: what does the water look like? If it's cloudy or green, you're going to keep loading up that filter until you kill off whatever is growing in the water. You'll never get ahead of it by filtering alone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool is cloudy, I can see the bottom ok in a 3.5ft pool. There is definitely a "film" of things floating on the surface and some stuff settled on the bottom, which I will try to vacuum this evening.
    Readings from last night
    FC = 20 (overshot just a bit)
    CC = .5
    pH = 8.0 (overshot just a bit)
    TA = 80
    just did a 95% refill and added CYA to get me to 30 (looking at my history I hope I didn't overshoot this too )

This morning
    FC = 19
    CC = .5
    pH didn't test
    CYA Didnt test
    TA didnt test
    Over the wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHampy View Post
    Pool is cloudy, I can see the bottom ok in a 3.5ft pool. There is definitely a "film" of things floating on the surface and some stuff settled on the bottom, which I will try to vacuum this evening.
    Readings from last night
    FC = 20 (overshot just a bit)
    CC = .5
    pH = 8.0 (overshot just a bit)
    TA = 80
    just did a 95% refill and added CYA to get me to 30 (looking at my history I hope I didn't overshoot this too )

This morning
    FC = 19
    CC = .5
    pH didn't test
    CYA Didnt test
    TA didnt test

We have a clue!

It appears you're doing the SLAM process. In which case, the filter clogging up is to be expected. The intervals between cleanings should get longer and longer as the pool clears up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

So I should keep slamming until the pool is clear correct? Since I already have a good OCLT result the next hurdle is a clear pool and I'm in the clear? Also I'm scared to leave the pump running 24 hrs/day due to the 30 minute backwash schedule, so I am turning it off overnight and while I'm at work.

I just didnt expect to have to backwash every 30 minutes. the water loss and replenishment is killing me
    Over the wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit