Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC won't increase....is this normal at startup?

1. Back To Top    #1

FC won't increase....is this normal at startup?

Opened pool 5/17.....levels tested using TF-100 kit:

FC 0
    pH 7.0
    TA 70
    CH 125
    CYA 0

Water dirty/cloudy but not green. Couldn't see bottom drains.

Added cal-hypo (48%) 16oz bag and 64oz solid stabilizer.

I'm in Ohio ...all week has been cold and cloudy (temps 50s). Added salt 5/18 and salt levels are now 3100.

5/20 pm levels:

FC 1
    CC 7 (eek)
    CYA 50
    pH 6.8
    TA 70
    CH 125

water more clear but little cloudy. Can now see bottom drains.

Added 400oz liquid bleach (8.25%) and turned off swg.

Tested one hour later...no increase in FC. Pump remained on all night. Water temp 48 degrees.

Tested 5/21 am and levels:

FC 1
    CC 4
    All other levels remained same

Is this normal that I can't increase my FC even after dumping that much bleach in? Do I continue the SLaM method and add 340oz bleach every day??

I feel like I'm going crazy.
    15'x25' 11K gallon fiberglass IG; 3HP variable speed pump, cartridge filter 150 flow rate; SWG (Autopilot Digital Nano); Mastertemp 200 heater; installed August 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC won't increase....is this normal at startup?

I think I know what is going on with your pool. We have seen it a LOT this spring. Your CYA turned in to ammonia. We are not sure why it is happening so much this year but your CC is what points to it. IF you really want to know if that is what happened you can go buy an ammonia test kit from a pet store in the fish department.

You DO need to keep on with the SLAM. The harder you hit it the faster you will get ahead of the ammonia. It is going to take a LOT of chlorine

You may even find that your FC is gone within an hour of putting it in at the beginning. Just keep testing and adding.

What test kit are you using?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TF-100. How much chlorine do you think I need on hand? Should I use my cal-hypo shock bags instead?
    15'x25' 11K gallon fiberglass IG; 3HP variable speed pump, cartridge filter 150 flow rate; SWG (Autopilot Digital Nano); Mastertemp 200 heater; installed August 2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your CH level is low enough that using cal-hypo for a while is fine. But keep your calcium level in mind and don't use so much cal-hypo that calcium gets out of control.

It is difficult to predict how much chlorine you will need in total. Your CC level suggests that it might not be all that much chlorine, but you never know for sure until you finish the process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I added 64oz of cal-hypo before leaving for work this morning which was according to the pool calculator. Do I continue to add liquid bleach today (amount according to the pool calc) and test an hour later and add more until I can get it up to the fc shock level (24)?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the procedure is the same as SLAMing your pool, though a little more forgiving if you miss a dose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Update - I took a pool water sample with me before leaving for work so I could get ammonia test strips when pet fish store opened. Just picked up ammonia test strips and tested with pool sample. It appears to be zero (attached the pic). The pool sample was 1.5hrs old, so not sure how much difference that makes. I won't be able to test fresh pool water until later today when I get home. IMG_0312.JPG

8. Back To Top    #8

Having the water sample 1 1/2 hours old shouldn't make too much of a difference, though it could in theory cause the test to read a little lower than actual.

Either way, your ammonia level can't be too high, which is a good thing.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am hopeful yours will not be that bad. We have had some with a cc of LOTS more than yours.

I really have no idea how much bleach you will need. Just make sure it is as fresh as you can find in your area.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Tested water just now:

FC 29
    CC 0.5

As long as I don't have a drop in FC overnight with my reading first thing in a.m. am I okay to let FC fall down to normal range?

11. Back To Top    #11

To pass OFCL test, water should be clear, less than 1ppm FC drop and less than .5 CC. If your water is clear and water levels pass then you can let it drop down.
    Pool Owner since 2013 . 15'x48" AG Intex Metal Frame . 4500 Gallons . Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Lovrpool View Post
    Tested water just now:

FC 29
    CC 0.5

As long as I don't have a drop in FC overnight with my reading first thing in a.m. am I okay to let FC fall down to normal range?
    That depends. How does the water look? How does the pool itself look? If it's still cloudy, or there's still debris on the floor, or you see patches of algae anywhere, or the walls feel slimy, you're not done. You need to pass all 3 tests at the same time to end a SLAM.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Update on testing #s after several days:

Water still slight cloudy but can see bottom and drains. When brushing sides it doesn't make water any cloudier. Sides are not slimy. But I am still losing FC overnight. Been continuing SLAM process with liquid bleach. Water temp 50.

5/22 PM:
    FC 24
    CC 0

5/23 AM:
    FC 18
    pH 6.8
    CC 0
    (Added 89oz bleach, 79oz Borax to raise pH)

5/23 PM:
    FC 39 (whoa did my granular cal-hypo I put in on 5/21 just kick in??? Or did raising pH affect this?)
    pH 7.2
    CYA 40
    CC 0.5

5/24 AM:
    FC 32
    CC 2
    CH 175
    CYA 40

Maybe I will get my water balanced by August...ugh. What's going on? Should I add stabilizer today to increase CYA?

14. Back To Top    #14

Can we get a picture of the water?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

15. Back To Top    #15

I was having problems attaching a picture so uploaded it to a site. Try this link to view pic:

https://poolmay24.shutterfly.com/

16. Back To Top    #16

The pool is looking good. Nice work so far. I wouldn't test pH until after the slam. It isn't accurate over 10 FC. Stick with it, I think you are almost home
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

17. Back To Top    #17

gosh I hope so.....stressful!

Should I increase my CYA since it is 40 and should be 60? Or during SLAM should I not worry about that one either?

18. Back To Top    #18

I would wait to add cya until after slam, as it will raise the amount of chlorine you need now. You are right, for swg you need 60 to 80 cya
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Don't raise CYA until SLAM is complete.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach