Considering owner/builder in Raleigh, NC

May 20, 2015
Raleigh, NC
We are planning to add a pool in the very near future and I would really prefer an in ground if we can fit it into our budget. The prime location (sun, convenience, away from trees, flat ground, etc) is right in front of our walk out basement and an above ground would really obstruct the view. I also don't like the constant depth of an above ground. We would want a simple rectangular shape preferably large enough that we could have a deep end suitable for diving and I am thinking probably a vinyl liner due to cost and low maintenance but would not be opposed to fiberglass or gunite if it did not add too much to the cost. We have a construction background and acted as the GC when we built our house but unfortunately don't know any pool subs.

Has anyone else in the Raleigh area done an owner-build and would you do it again? Did you use subs who specialized in pool construction for things such as electrical and plumbing or would a plumber/electrician who usually does residential home construction be able to do it? Any suggestions for finding subs other than finding pools under construction and approaching whoever is working at the time? Also, any idea as to what costs/savings we are looking at? Any comments, suggestions, recommendations and/or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry no one has answered you yet. Yes, there have been lot's of owner builds on the forum, and one that I know of in Raleigh/Duram area. Perhaps he will find your thread and respond.

I had my pool put in last year by Rising Sun Pools. They handled the pool construction, but the electrical and concrete was my choice. They gave me list of recommended contractors, and I chose for that list.

Harte Pool and Electric is who I would recommend for the electrical. Very professional and super easy to work with. For the concrete, I chose Michael at Concrete Transformations. I can't speak highly enough for him. Let's just say he had a lot of patience with me. Not sure about any plumbing as that was handled by the PB.

You'll need to hire a pool plumber, as they know the applicable codes and industry standards. A regular plumber would take forever and be more expensive anyway. Some pool plumbers will even run the conduit (mine did), which can save quite a bit of money over having an electrician come out separately for ground work.

As for electrician, if you can get the plumber to run the conduit, then you might be able to get away with a regular electrician. If you plan to run more than just a pump, for example a SWG and automation, then I'd probably find someone recommended by your other subs who knows pools.

My build was in Raleigh but it was DIY, not owner/builder.
Wow, you did that much yourself? Would love to hear more about your experience. Vinyl is most likely what we will go with due to cost. Did you purchase a kit? If we go that route we could install the panels and probably the liner ourselves. We would probably hire someone to do the excavating and floor. From past experiences, we don't seem to save much after accounting for equipment rental, extra time, stress, etc that comes with inexperienced users of heavy equipment. We definitely aren't pro heavy equipment operators-but we've had some fun trying!

DIY isn't out of reach of you have some construction experience and the more important thing TIME. Excavation and the pool bottom finish is the most precise part you may need to find help with, the plumbing is straight forward and folks here can give pointers and advise. Most electricians should be able to assist with the bonding and grounding requirements if they are licensed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh, the sale guy, was great to with, overall I think that they a pretty good job on the install. I think they are used to doing things their way and do not like to stray much from it. As far as the heater, we decided last year that due to the angle of the sun, we needed a heater after July believe it or not. Water was 85 yesterday after a cool night, so that was really nice.

I'll second Rising Sun also. As noted above we 'acted' like GC's but did end us using their preferred vendors for concrete and electrical. They though coordinate and work with each other.
We handled all our own landscaping and fence contractors though.

I preferred using their vendors as we were able to meet both with Rising Sun and the concrete contractor at the same time on a few occasions to walk over design ideas, costs, layout in our back yard and make sure all were on the same page.
I also liked the idea of using contractors who knew how to work around a pool and do it correctly.
So far its been great with no issues and we're loving it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, we are in the Durham area and we used Jim Hinson pools in 2009 to put in our gunite pool. We got multiple estimates and the price we ended up paying for gunite was not that much higher than vinyl. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.