pool monitor

Had a little back and forth with with someone at pHin.

When I asked the following this was their repsonse:

How does your testing compare to the known issues with ePool? What if someone didn't want to subscribe to your chemicals, can they just buy your device? In this day and age and the Internet of Things, I am looking to ease the testing processes, but accuracy has always been an issue with these types of devices.

The pHin monitor uses lab grade sensors, the same type that are used in commercial pools to monitor their water chemistry. In addition, we supplement these readings with occasional test strip dips which allow us to monitor Total Hardness, Total Alkalinity and Cyanuric Acid, while also ensuring that our sensors stay properly calibrated. As for comparisons to ePool, that’s hard to say, the ePool devices we purchased failed before we could get much useful data from them. We’re so confident that our solution works, we’re offering a money back guarantee, and if our device ever fails for any of our subscribers, we’ll ship them a replacement, free of charge.

I went back to ask about the test strip aspect he mentioned and their response:

Only every other month or so. The app will notify you when you need to dip the test strip, and then you just take a picture of the test strip with our mobile app (no need to analyze the strip yourself).

So it appears they are in it to sell you chemicals and may have issues with their testing since you have to confirm it once and a while with a test strip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RubiconValley
Hi everyone, just one small correction to jfgreco's post: we don't have any issues with our testing, we use the test strips to test slower moving variables, such as CYA, Total Hardness and Total Alkalinity, as well as to ensure our sensors stay calibrated with respect to pH and ORP.

As for the original question to whether there is a wifi monitor that you can use to monitor your water quality, yes, we have one.

Thanks,
Justin
pHin

Last edited:
Reactions: RubiconValley
As someone who still owns a rotary dial phone, I am probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer on all the new automation and testing stuff like described above.

I do know, however, that it violates the very basic idea of TFP's methods. pHin appears to do the thinking for you. As mind-numbed robots, we stick a probe into the water and get back a pack of chemicals to dump in your pool. Really?

Apparently the software even tells you when to go to your pool and dip the test strip so a computer can interpret it for you, you dummy.

TFP will always teach people to manage their own pools with hands on knowledge of the chemistry involved. We teach why you do what you do and what will be the outcome.

The premise to me is that computers are smarter than you so let them do what you are not smart enough to learn. I really hope we never buy into that notion in my lifetime.

Well, I'm off to watch re-runs of Ozzie and Harriet.

I don't think I would go as far as calling it a scam, but certainly is counter to everything we teach. Might be one step better than trusting the pool store to test and sell you stuff ... Assuming the probes can be kept calibrated which is doubtful.

Hi everyone, just one small correction to jfgreco's post: we don't have any issues with our testing, we use the test strips to test slower moving variables, such as CYA, Total Hardness and Total Alkalinity, as well as to ensure our sensors stay calibrated with respect to pH and ORP.

Justin,

I read this reply and said to myself, "oh, he did it now..."

The issue is not whether YOU have any issues with test strips, it's that the forum you are posting on is 99.9% against test strips (salt strips are accepted, but not for any of the metrics you mentioned). I think you will find a hard time bringing people on this forum to your product if it involves a strip, simply because of the known accuracy issues that the experts on this board have been able to show over and over again.

I'm serious when I say this sounds like as poor a method of controlling your pool I've ever heard of. There is no possible way this can be an acceptable substitute for proper testing and knowledge. I have far too much invested in mine to risk it to this.

As someone who still owns a rotary dial phone, I am probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer on all the new automation and testing stuff like described above.

I do know, however, that it violates the very basic idea of TFP's methods. pHin appears to do the thinking for you. As mind-numbed robots, we stick a probe into the water and get back a pack of chemicals to dump in your pool. Really?

Apparently the software even tells you when to go to your pool and dip the test strip so a computer can interpret it for you, you dummy.

TFP will always teach people to manage their own pools with hands on knowledge of the chemistry involved. We teach why you do what you do and what will be the outcome.

The premise to me is that computers are smarter than you so let them do what you are not smart enough to learn. I really hope we never buy into that notion in my lifetime.

Well, I'm off to watch re-runs of Ozzie and Harriet.

Amen to that, and the girls sure liked Ricky and his guitar. I love building computers, but it can't think and adapt like I can (not yet at least). What it can do is add a trillion times faster than I can. I'm not in that big of a hurry.

P.S -what would I do with trusty speedstir :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just watched the video and I have to say... the tech geek in me finds the Phin product intriguing. They have an intro rate for $199/yr (for 4 month seasonal use) that I'm tempted to try next year. Seems downright cheap considering it includes all chems. Too cheap maybe.....

Just watched the video and I have to say... the tech geek in me finds the Phin product intriguing. They have an intro rate for $199/yr (for 4 month seasonal use) that I'm tempted to try next year. Seems downright cheap considering it includes all chems. Too cheap maybe.....
Most members do not spend anywhere near $200 a year on chemicals.

I doubt I spend $200 a year to maintain my bleach hot tub and my SWG pool, both open year round. And what does "included chemicals" include? Are they on this list, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals? How can they even know whether you need to raise or lower PH, TA or CH or by how much? What are you going to do with the stuff you don't need?

All these systems report back to them through the Internet and tell the, what you need. You shouldn't get anything you don't necessarily need. However, they may push Algaecides and those type things on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw the pHin thing pop up on Facebook this morning, and my first thought was to check here to see what people are saying about it. I'm an admitted gadget freak and love the idea of something bobbing around the pool that I can check remotely to monitor critical information. On the other hand, I'm pretty distrustful of consumer-grade electronic testing. I also wonder if the chlorine "pods" would be dumping CYA into the water.

Sutro is working on such a device. I have had chats with them about it. They aren't using ORP for measurement. They are trying to be better than what's out there now. No chemical subscription required either as of now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.