Losing FC with SWG on High

Apr 10, 2013
Dallas, TX
I think my salt cell may need to be replaced, but you tell me what you think. I was recently SLAMming to get of some mild algae and I performed an OCLT, but forgot to turn my SWG off. Instead, with it running on high, I still lost like 5 FC overnight.

The algae problem is cleared up now (OCLT passed thanks to many gallons of bleach), but I've been watching my chlorine levels slowly drop ever since, even with the SWG still running with a high %. It's showing a salt level of 3000, so it's not that.

Perhaps it just needs a good acid wash. When I get some free time, I'll take a look at the plates to see if there's any calcification, but this seems like a strong effect for just a little calcification.

I bought this house in 2013 and I know the pool was built in 2008, but don't know if the previous owners ever replaced the cell, so it's somewhere between 2-7 years old.

I would clean it with vinegar or MA before chalking it up to a total loss. But if you lost that much running at 100% there is an issue, no doubt. But if it is 7 years old, I would say you got a lot of life out of it.

I assume that your cya and salt are in an acceptable range? My SWG likes 3200-3400. Not sure on yours or if that little off would cause an issue???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What SWG do you have? Does it have a cell light on it? I have an Intellichlor IC40. It has a green cell light that lights up when the cell is producing chlorine. If I set mine at 100% that light would be lit all the time. If you have no indication telling you that the cell is actually producing chlorine, your falling FC level is telling you it's not, regardless of were your percentage is set. I'm assuming you have cleaned the cell at least a few times sinse you bought the house?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.