difference in test kits

eazy

May 16, 2015
puyallup, wa
I have a poolmaster 5 way test kit that I bought before I knew better. It doesn't even have a CYA test. The FC only goes up to 5.

What is the difference in the way FC is tested an measured between this kit and the kits tfp recommends that are FAS-DPD. Will this type of test kit give FC numbers higher than 5?

Is there a link I can learn about how test kits work?

thanks in advance

There are three common kinds of chlorine tests. OTO - drops turn the sample shades of yellow. Measures TC from 0 to 3. Some kits label to 5, but most people can't distinguish 3 from 5. DPD - drops turn the sample shades of pink. Measure FC and TC from 0 to 5 (or sometimes 10). Fairly good for low FC levels, but can read zero when FC is high. FAS-DPD - powder turns the sample pink and drops turn it back to clear. Measures FC and CC from 0 to 50 in steps of 0.5.

All of the kits we recommend come with the FAS-DPD test kit, which is the only one precise enough to do the overnight FC loss test and works reliably up to high FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.