Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt for the first time with pool closed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt for the first time with pool closed?

Hi. I just installed a salt water generator this week (SJ-45) and the pool is not open yet. The cover is still on the pool. Is it ok for me to peel back the cover and dump the Diamond Crystal Salt in the pool without it running? Will it damage anything? I believe I need about 800 lbs of salt. I wasn't going to dump it all in, but I was going to put most of it in. I was going to take the cover off in a few days and would like to start her up!
    26k inground, Fiberglassed Concrete, CircuPool SJ-45, Gulfstream HE125Ra Heat Pump, Hayward Pump, Polaris 9300 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding salt for the first time with pool closed?

I just checked pool math, looks like around 750 lbs of salt. You can put it in now, but you will want to brush it to help it disolve some. Once it is all added and dissolved you can turn it on.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Why not just open it, test your water with the TFT-100 and post results.

Pool calculator shows 696lbs of salt if yours is truly @0. You should circulate and brush the pool with the salt cell unplugged until it's dissolved so you don't hurt the cell. Too much salt at once can effect the cell from what I've read.
    Must have posted at same time^^^^^^^
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Open the pool.
    Fire up the pump, disable the SWG, set the output to 0.
    Dump in the salt.
    Wait until it dissolves
    Start the SWG the following day.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't assume your starting salt level is zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 what JasonLion said! Prior to adding salt I tested with salt strips and they said I had 0 salt in my pool. I added the full amount of salt according to PoolMath. I ended up with too much salt in my pool.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Propbndr View Post
    +1 what JasonLion said! Prior to adding salt I tested with salt strips and they said I had 0 salt in my pool. I added the full amount of salt according to PoolMath. I ended up with too much salt in my pool.
    Probably because you had a layer of snow melt/rainwater on the top of the pool. Any readings are best taken after the pump has been running for at least 30 minutes to mix things up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I think Tim means 30 minutes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I think Tim means 30 minutes.
    He does - Fixed
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool,had been opened for almost 2 weeks when I added the salt. The salt strips I used, at the time, gave me several false low readings. Anyway, I was reenforcing JasonLions post that he not assume that his salt level was zero.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

OP said they just installed a SWG, so I amasuming they did not have salt in their pool last year. That is how I read it anyway.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Always test the salt level before adding and add less than calculated to avoid over-salting. I woul suggest adding about 80 % of the calculated amount and then retesting after allowing for full mixing.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would even go further and suggest putting in 75% of your estimate, then wait a week, maybe two. Be conservative.

I have never undersalted my pool, but I always over salt it. I had mine dialed in a 3800, and now it's climbed to 4200. I don't know why, but once it's in you are stuck with it or forced to dilute your pool re balance.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006