Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does your pool feels like a spa? Get a Glacier Pool Chiller

1. Back To Top    #1

Does your pool feels like a spa? Get a Glacier Pool Chiller

In late 2008 we bought a brand new house and built a brand new pool (our first) to go with it. Life was great, loved the pool, until about July 2009. By then taking a "refreshing" swim felt more like getting into a hot tub. I would actually start sweating being in it. By the end of July the water temperature had risen to 95 degrees. No one wanted to go swimming and why would they. This was unacceptable. No swimming during the winter cause it's to cold, and no swimming during the summer cause it's to hot. How depressing. Why even have a pool. Time to hit the Internet. The first thing I looked at were compresor pool coolers, similar to what you find in an air conditioner. They are very expensive, expensive to operate and maintain and are not very effective. My search eventually lead me Glacier Pool Coolers website. These do not use freon compressors but a cooling tower that works exactly like the radiator in your car. Water is distributed over the top of the tower which is filled with baffles. A large powerful fan located on the top of the tower sucks air up through the tower cooling the water as it flows down the baffles. These systems are also known as swap chillers. Given that I live in a humid climate (Houston Tx.) I was very skeptical as to how effective this would be. Glacier told me that their GCP210 unit would cool my water down at least 8 degrees even on the most humid days. I was frustrated and desperate. I bought their sales pitch and their GCP210 unit. By mid August the unit was installed and running. By then my water temperature had reached 98 degrees. After the water passes through your filter it's diverted to the chiller then back to the pool. Because your pump supplies the water, the chiller only runs when your pump does. As you can imagine, it takes a while to cool down 25,000 gallons of water 10 degrees. But after 24 hours my pool went from 98 to 90 and after another 24 hours it was down to 84. I was ecstatic. This thing work far beyond my expectations. It's now been 6 years, with some VERY hot summers and my pool stays between 82 and 87 degrees even on the hottest days. So, what are the cons of this system?? It's big. It stands almost 6 feet high and is about 4.5 feet in diameter. Also the fan is pretty loud. But that's about it for cons. Operating cost are minimal as there is only a fan to run. As for maintenance, it has consisted of lubricating the water distribution rotor with siliclone before and after using it each summer. Some hints to get the most out of these coolers. If possible install it where it's shaded. Also, I run my pump from 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM to take advantage of the relatively cooler night temperatures. Also, don't wait till your pool is hot to start it. Once my pool hits 80 on comes the chiller. It's funny to hear my wife complain that the water is to cold when I do this. BTW, I am not affiliated with Glacier in any way, nor am I getting anything from them for this. I simply wanted to pass along a very good solution for anyone that hates jumping into a pool that feels like a hot tub.

25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does your pool feels like a spa? Get a Glacier Pool Chiller

Great post and I am probably in the minority when I say a pool at 95 is what I dream of. One kid loves it too and the other is happy at 92. They both use the hot tub all summer long, which is 100 year round. Yep, I laugh at myself but I like it warm.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the review. This is my first year for the pool and it gets full sun from dawn to dusk. We were going to see how this year went before deciding on what to do. I didn't know this was an option vs. a heat pump. Much cheaper too.
    Leisure Pools Riviera 34 Fiberglass IG 16100 gals
    CS150 Cartridge Filter 1hp FloPro pump, AquaPure E1 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Search "pool cooler" on this forum and you can find a variety of aerating devices that are remarkably effective and almost free.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That Glacier unit seems to be a good choice for very hot areas. Last Summer's weather was fairly cool compared to normal for me. I never got to use my home made cooler.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE View Post
    Last Summer's weather was fairly cool compared to normal for me. I never got to use my home made cooler.
    Same for us here. I think I've used my homemade aerator every year except last year, the pool never rose above 90 all summer.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    Same for us here. I think I've used my homemade aerator every year except last year, the pool never rose above 90 all summer.
    90... Well that's to hot...lol
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, 90 is hot in the midday sun, but we do a lot of swimming in the late evening, where 90 suddenly becomes nice.

9. Back To Top    #9

Great review and Thanks for posting! I'm South of HTown and agree with you-summer swimming in 90F is too hot. I've been considering the Glacier for a few years now!! I think it's by far the most efficient/cost effective option. Also impressed how they worked it into that tight space.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Second what Duraleigh posted. We purchased a fountain that screws into one of the returns. It looks like a flower. We run it overnight and drop 8-10 degrees. It cost around $15.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

Up here in Canada this is a problem that we are unlikely to ever have - but it is good to know that there is a solution.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I am right there with you!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Hello,
    I just picked up my cooler last week and will be installing tomorrow.. I wanted to ask you where/how your cooler returns the chilled water? The manual shows it returning into the skimmer line....I was curious if you tied it straight into the pool returns instead.. Please let me know when you have a chance...My pool is already at 88 (I'm in Houston as well) Thank You