Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness

I don't typically test my calcium hardness as we have a vinyl pool. I recently tested it and it came out at 25 (1 drop). I was looking for some confirmation of my testing (for CYA more than anything else), so I went to my local pool store to get a "free" professional water test. They tested and their calcium hardness came in at 14. They were freaking out because my calcium was so low. They said it was going to ruin my heater. We have a titanium heater and my husband says we should not be concerned.

So, I am concerned only for this reason. Everything I read on the website says that calcium hardness should be between 0-350 (vinyl) and no need to adjust. I am good with this, but with the store freaking out and wanting me to put 48 pounds of something in; I thought I would at least see what you guys had to say.

I would hate to hear that I should have made sure my calcium was at least 50 or something minor, so that we don't ruin the heater or anything else.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Accounting MaMa

21,500 gallons, IG, 18x36 vinyl, Pentair CCP420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IntellifloFX VS Pump, Pentair Ultra temp Heat Pump 140,000 BTU,
    Interfab G-Force 2 Slide, Pentair GloBright LED Lights, Installed 8/18/14,TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness

Seems most pool store employees have no idea what they are talking about.

Why would low calcium levels affect copper?

Simple solution ... stop going to the pool store

- - - Updated - - -

Well, after some reading, let me amend my post ...

Calcium should not affect the heater, but most heater warranties (if you have one) state some minimum, so you likely should abide by it, even if it is illogical.
    Also low CH could cause foaming, so adding some calcium would stop that.

Read this to find out what to use to raise it:
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, I should have not gone to the pool store. Especially when they would not let me leave the store with the print out because I wasn't buying their expensive baking soda to increase my TA and the 48 lbs of whatever to increase my calcium hardness.

I will check my heater warrantee to confirm if there is a level of calcium hardness required, but I think because it is titanium there wasn't one. Not sure if that makes any sense or not, but I'll definitely check with Pentair.

Thank you.
    Accounting MaMa

21,500 gallons, IG, 18x36 vinyl, Pentair CCP420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IntellifloFX VS Pump, Pentair Ultra temp Heat Pump 140,000 BTU,
    Interfab G-Force 2 Slide, Pentair GloBright LED Lights, Installed 8/18/14,TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It makes sense, and I wouldn't worry, especially since its made of Titanium. It's a pretty non reactive metal, so don't worry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem