Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help after Acid treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Help after Acid treatment

I'm having issues getting my pool back in balance after I did the jacks magic treatment. I currently have TA at 80 and PH is well above 8.0 (my test maxes out at 8.0). I did pool math and added muratic acid to bring down ph but then I need to add more baking soda. Is there a way to lower ph without effecting TA?

Also I was thinking I have algae since my pool has been cloudy the past week. I thought this was due to keeping a very low chlorine level during the treatment. My cc was a 4 when I just tested, but when I added the muratic acid the pool got completely clear. Does high ph cause cloudiness? I mean it went from not being able to see the bottom of the shallow end to crystal clear entire pool. Thoughts? I have been dumping bleach like crazy the past couple days and nothing has cleared until now. Jacks does say you get false chlorine readings for up to a month so I couldn't accurately go off of it.
    25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help after Acid treatment

Was your water cloudy before the JM treatment? Can you post a complete list of test readings? What test kit are you using?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

No it was perfectly clear. I got it balanced before I started it. I ran the treatment for 3 weeks.

Taylor 2006
    pH - higher than 8.0
    TA - 80
    CH - 350
    CYA - 20
    FC - 4
    CC - 4
    FC and cc could be inaccurate due to treatment.

These were readings about an hour ago. I put in about a 1/2 gallon of muratic acid and within 10 min pool was clear.
    25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just retested. Ph 7.4 and TA 70. My thoughts are raise TA to 100 and then I have room to drop it to lower the ph back down. Thoughts?

5. Back To Top    #5

That could help but I'd be more concerned with a CC OF 4. What test kit are you using and how are you doing the CC test? Anyone else care to address this?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    That could help but I'd be more concerned with a CC OF 4. What test kit are you using and how are you doing the CC test? Anyone else care to address this?
    My guessing the CC may related to the Jacks Majic treatment. However I really don't know.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a Taylor 2006 test kit. I did some searching last night that high ph can cause cloudiness when other parameters are at certain levels. I'm hoping my cc levels drop soon. It's just been a pain getting ta and ph back in balance!