I hate you CYA!

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
CYA was 200 yesterday. So after 3 water dumps, I done my fourth. Guess what. NO CHANGE. Still at 200 with diluted test. Geez. I drained approx. 1/4th of my pool (about 7 inches below skim line). Water was just above next to last step I believe. Refilled overnight. I let it filter for around 30 mins. and tested.

CYA 200 (per diluted test)
FC 7.0
CC 0 (Thank the Lord)
pH 7.2
TA 80

I just want to go sit in the corner and cry. Do i get an award for possibly having the highest CYA level? :rolleyes:

So you have done 4 dumps of 25% each? That means you should have lowered the CYA by 70%

Care to describe how you are doing the CYA test so we are sure there is not a testing error?

So you have done 4 dumps of 25% each? That means you should have lowered the CYA by 70%

Care to describe how you are doing the CYA test so we are sure there is not a testing error?

jblizzle:

First dump was 19 inches below skim line...
Second dump was 6 inches below skim line
Third was 4.5 inches below skim line
Fourth was 6 inches

I take a sample and fill the squeeze bottle up to the 7 mark.
Then, i fill it up to 14 with 0013
Shake for 30 secs and then give it a few seconds before dropping
I stand up and hold the tube about at my waist and start dripping it in one at a time giving it a brief second in between each drip.

Then, I get mad....

Then, I go with the diluted.

Pour pool water to the 7, then tap to the 14.
Shake it a few secs.
Pour off to the 7, then add my 0013
Shake again for 30 secs. and then let it stand a sec.
Drip it in once again.
Then get mad again...

- - - Updated - - -

Per the pool store the first dump was very close to 50%. She said on my pool if I left a foot or so in the shallow end it was 50%. It was level with the bottom step.

It's possible your cya is much higher and you haven't drained enough.

Try draining down to just below the returns (winterize levels) then refill.

Do that 2 or 3 times and you should definitely see a change. (this is how I got from 300+ to 120 doing it 3 times)

LIndz,
Just in case you forgot to mention....

you should be outside while testing CYA. With your back to the sun.

the lighting conditions make a difference, though not hudereds of ppms worth
I sympahtize with your situation.

jblizzle:

Fourth was 6 inches

I stand up and hold the tube about at my waist and start dripping it in one at a time giving it a brief second in between each drip.

Then, I get mad....

Shake it a few secs.
Drip it in once again.
Then get mad again...

- - - Updated - - -

Per the pool store the first dump was very close to 50%. She said on my pool if I left a foot or so in the shallow end it was 50%. It was level with the bottom step.

OK, sounds like you are doing the test right ... your CYA must have be very very high.

Although you may not have replaced as much as you think. Most pools average near 4 feet deep. Assuming a 48" depth, you replaced 40%, 12.5%, 9%, and 12.5% ... which would be lowering you CYA to 0.6*0.875*0.91*0.875 = 42% of what you started at so a reduction of 58%

If your pool depth average is less than 4 feet, then the reduction % would go up some.

OK, sounds like you are doing the test right ... your CYA must have be very very high.

Although you may not have replaced as much as you think. Most pools average near 4 feet deep. Assuming a 48" depth, you replaced 40%, 12.5%, 9%, and 12.5% ... which would be lowering you CYA to 0.6*0.875*0.91*0.875 = 42% of what you started at so a reduction of 58%

If your pool depth average is less than 4 feet, then the reduction % would go up some.

My pool is 3.5 on shallow end and 6 foot in deep end. Shallow end runs 16 ft. Pool is 18x36

I cannot believe they didn't have any algae last year. They must be lucky

jblizzle:

Fourth was 6 inches

Then, I get mad....

Shake it a few secs.
Drip it in once again.
Then get mad again...

- - - Updated - - -

You should be waiting a full 30 seconds after the first shake, then shake it again before testing. Also are you using a test vial to mix the sample with the 0013 and not a closed bottle? And when you read the test you only get a little bit in the test vial before the dot disappears?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just want to go sit in the corner and cry. Do i get an award for possibly having the highest CYA level? :rolleyes:

Sadly no, we have seen some people with such high CYA that they probably could have bottled their pool water and sold it as liquid CYA ;)

Keep at it, you are making progress even if you can't see it yet. Just remember that once you get it down and switch away from stabilized chlorine (tablets) you will never have to do this again.

Sadly no, we have seen some people with such high CYA that they probably could have bottled their pool water and sold it as liquid CYA ;)

Keep at it, you are making progress even if you can't see it yet. Just remember that once you get it down and switch away from stabilized chlorine (tablets) you will never have to do this again.

Can with the diluted test it be off by 100?

Because of the way the CYA test works you can't make any measurements that come in over the 100 mark, even if it is diluted. So if you do the diluted test and it registers over 100, then it can only be read as "200+". It could be 210, it could be over 9000. Once your diluted test registers under 100 then you will know you have dropped below 200 and the light is visible at the end of the tunnel.

It seems quite odd that you would do that much drain and refill and not move the needle at all. I have no idea if this would affect your result, but you may want to try changing out the bottle for a new one?? Have seen stranger things happen and a new bottle is a lot cheaper than a pool full of water.

Either that or do a 2:1 dilution or more if need be. 2 cups tap, 1 cup pool water, fill to 7 blah blah blah. Multiply result by 3. Maybe you are well over 200???

If that his the case you are right, shocked there was not an algae party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems quite odd that you would do that much drain and refill and not move the needle at all. I have no idea if this would affect your result, but you may want to try changing out the bottle for a new one?? Have seen stranger things happen and a new bottle is a lot cheaper than a pool full of water.

Either that or do a 2:1 dilution or more if need be. 2 cups tap, 1 cup pool water, fill to 7 blah blah blah. Multiply result by 3. Maybe you are well over 200???

If that his the case you are right, shocked there was not an algae party.

That is what i have been thinking. If my cya is truly so high , how in the **** have I not had an algae party in my pool yet! Days I didn't add any chlorine at all while waiting on my kit. So literally, two cups of tap and 1 of pool ? Just mix it in a large bottle. Ok, I'm doing it. My kitchen has bright bright fluorescents. I will try. The suspense is killing me.

That is what i have been thinking. If my cya is truly so high , how in the **** have I not had an algae party in my pool yet! Days I didn't add any chlorine at all while waiting on my kit. So literally, two cups of tap and 1 of pool ? Just mix it in a large bottle. Ok, I'm doing it. My kitchen has bright bright fluorescents. I will try. The suspense is killing me.

Mine got so high that I needed to do a 2:1 ratio to get an accurate test. The pool stores testing machine was bad and they kept telling me that I had onto keep adding stabilizer. Then I got a funny feeling and bought test strips that said my cya was off the charts high. So I found TFP trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

The test says to test in the sun with your back to the sun, but all you would waste is a little reagent.

Mine got so high that I needed to do a 2:1 ratio to get an accurate test. The pool stores testing machine was bad and they kept telling me that I had onto keep adding stabilizer. Then I got a funny feeling and bought test strips that said my cya was off the charts high. So I found TFP trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

The test says to test in the sun with your back to the sun, but all you would waste is a little reagent.

Inside the house it is around the 40 mark , so 120ish . HMMM Another thing. I have been dropping ONE drop then pausing. Dropping one drop, then pausing. All the youtube videos show them more like trickling a small amount at a time. Wonder if this is causing problems.

Squirt it in get a reading, pour it back and try again a few times. You may be going way too slow. Also I would not trust the lighting inside.

I will try it and see if there is a considerable difference. I have plenty of 0013 to play with. Just got the huge bottle!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I did actually get up to around 100 inside where I know it is dimmer... Maybe I do have a silver lining! I'm not gonna cross my fingers. We will see in the am!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.