Green and Cloudy

Here is what I would like you to do. Go out and put your brush into your pool. Use something to mark how deep it goes before you cannot see the brush part any more. Take a picture of it. Do this every day if not two times-morning and evening. What I am hoping is that this will be able to show you and us that it is working. You are in the "it does not look like it is working" part of the SLAM. It seems a lot slower than when it is changing colors from green, to gray, to blue.

Have you looked at Lisa's SLAM? She has it listed in her siggy. She did everything right and got it done.

HUGS! It does work. It just takes time.

Kim

If it makes you feel any better, it has taken me at least a week to SLAM my cristal clear water but had a patch of algae start on the pool floor at the bottom of the steps. No kidding......the water was still great. Proceeded to slam and took me a week to pass the OCLT. Started a week ago Thursday. Passed OCLT Thursday morning I think it was. Last weekend daughter swimming with goggles noticed green in som cracks that are naturally part of the construction of our steps and where they connect to the pool framing. I bought a kitchen brush and started brushing underwater all around those. Places my pool brush wouldn't easily have gotten to. And between my skimmer frames plates and the liner. Guess what? Algae. Water stayed clear but a patch kept coming back. Now I know why.

Im still not comfortable with passing one OCLT. May check again this weekend. Unfortunately there is no magic potion. Chlorine is what kills algae. Stick with it :)

If it makes you feel any better, it has taken me at least a week to SLAM my cristal clear water but had a patch of algae start on the pool floor at the bottom of the steps. No kidding......the water was still great. Proceeded to slam and took me a week to pass the OCLT. Started a week ago Thursday. Passed OCLT Thursday morning I think it was. Last weekend daughter swimming with goggles noticed green in som cracks that are naturally part of the construction of our steps and where they connect to the pool framing. I bought a kitchen brush and started brushing underwater all around those. Places my pool brush wouldn't easily have gotten to. And between my skimmer frames plates and the liner. Guess what? Algae. Water stayed clear but a patch kept coming back. Now I know why.

Im still not comfortable with passing one OCLT. May check again this weekend. Unfortunately there is no magic potion. Chlorine is what kills algae. Stick with it :)

Aimee thanks for posting this. It just goes to show you how every pool is different.

Kim

Here is what I would like you to do. Go out and put your brush into your pool. Use something to mark how deep it goes before you cannot see the brush part any more. Take a picture of it. Do this every day if not two times-morning and evening. What I am hoping is that this will be able to show you and us that it is working. You are in the "it does not look like it is working" part of the SLAM. It seems a lot slower than when it is changing colors from green, to gray, to blue.

Have you looked at Lisa's SLAM? She has it listed in her siggy. She did everything right and got it done.
HUGS! It does work. It just takes time.

Kim
She had only 5000 gal of water to treat and she started out just cloudy....no green.....as far as the brush trick its the same as it was days ago...goes down about a foot and it pulls a Houdini. If I shut my filter off tonight would some of that stuff sink to the bottom? Then I could vacuum to waste

Keep your pump running. You only got your test kit yesterday if I read everything correctly? You need to keep chlorine at your target "shock" or slam level at all times. Keeping the pump running is imperative but that is not what kills the algae. The chlorine kills the algae and the filter helps filter the dead algae. The filter will eventually clear that dead algea.

Your question of letting it settle seems moot. You need chlorine circulating in that pool to kill it so keep running that pump and filtering. You quoted my post.......yes I ran my pump 24/7 during a slam. As one should. The dead algea will settle, yes. But brushing while pump is running will help the filter catch it.

OK 6:45 PM FC is at 19.5....Added 121oz 0f 8.25% to bring back to slam level of 24. I will keep the pump running for a few more days. I need to start seeing some improvement soon for me to start buying into this. Remaining positive... I just hope that there isn't another problem that I am overlooking.
Jed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No problem Kim. But now I really have the urge to go back and edit my spelling. Typing on a mobile device. Sorry.

That struggle is real for all of us! I post and then open it to edit because the edit box formats better on my phone.

- - - Updated - - -

I am assuming you don't get much algea in your area... :(

I got algae in my pool every few weeks last summer and performed the slam process blindly because I refused to buy the proper test kit or thoroughly follow the instructions.
Now, I have come on over and I follow the "rules" and my chlorine level remains constant and no more algae. I also no longer test every single day. I am finally in control of my pool and the algae.

attachment.php
What is living beneath the green cloudy waters??? :shock:

You don't need to run all the tests that often. The pH test isn't accurate while you are SLAMing (above FC 10). Th CYA level does not change unless you drain water or add stabilizer in some form. The CH and TA change slowly. You just need to concentrate on the FC, CC levels during the SLAM. Save you energy and reagents.

You don't need to run all the tests that often. The pH test isn't accurate while you are SLAMing (above FC 10). Th CYA level does not change unless you drain water or add stabilizer in some form. The CH and TA change slowly. You just need to concentrate on the FC, CC levels during the SLAM. Save you energy and reagents.
I just ran the cya test a few more times because I added the stabilizer Tuesday when I only had the test strips to go by. I didn't think the test strips would be so horribly inaccurate so I needed to test a few times because I know that it would go up a little after a few days. Its at 55 now which is higher than I wanted it. I am afraid it will be higher by this Tuesday.

Jedc, you sound a bit skeptical/anxious about the SLAM working. I just want to reassure you that it REALLY works. It DOES take time, you do need to follow the proceedure exactly, and it does require patience. But the best byproduct is the ultimate control you will have and the future trouble free pool ;)

In my books, you've been slamming for ONE day, not a week.

While I expect you'll be looking at a week for it to clear, possibly more, just remember that in warmer temperatures, the algae can grow back anytime your FC drops below your shock/Slam value...so if half the day its a few points below SLAM, well then that time is wasted. So dose a few ppm above if you're going to be away for more than a couple of hours.

The slam also works much faster if you remove any leaves/debris. As you will see below, my swamp back in 2012 could not be vacuumed to waste for quite a while (clogged too fast) so I used a leaf rake and a "leaf gulper" that works with a hose. And still missed a big pile ;)

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Leaf-Gulper-Pool-Vacuum/dp/B002WKO8OK

Below I am posting pics of my swamp recovery. I'd hired pool guys to recover my foreclosure swamp and they literally could not get it done. I stopped them after 700 worth of labor and did it myself in 12 days (9 days once I had my test kit) and 60 gallons of cheap beach.

The brown pic is pretty much where they left off. The next pics are all me, TFP following a slam and using the leaf gulper to get leaves off the bottom:

Hope this helps you feel comfortable that the slam is a proven and superior method.
Cheers to clear!

image.jpg

We are all encouraging you! Keep the faith!

My PB was here on Thursday and said whatever I am doing sure works. He said my pool is always one of the nicest clearest pools he has ever worked on. He has been with the company 20 years. When we opened in March he commented on great my pool looked upon opening as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.