Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pests

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pests

Not exactly a pool question! But does anyone have any ideas to keep away bees from pool deck area?
    Intex 22 x 52 ultraframe above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pests

What kind of bees are they?
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They are attracted to the water and flowery smelling sun screen. Also any flowering plants near the pool. Set out a dish of water as far away from the pool as you can to try to lure them away. Some bees are attracted to certain sodas. We learned on our last camping trip not to leave any open cans of Sprite at the camp site. Empty or not I think they drew every bee within a 50 mile radius!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have wasps and dirt daubers that dip into the pool for water. It's kind of nerve wracking to swim with them!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

dirt daubers as in those really thin long looking hornet things?

I see them flying around my back yard too and 2 different ones had started building nests nearby.
    knocked em out at first sighting.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Boarer bees and wasps! Also big fat bumblebees!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've got them all too. The Carpenter bees, wasps and yellow jackets. big fat PITA. I've found no good way to get rid of them if I can't find the nest.

Last year we kinda just worked around them.

I tried a few different DYI traps and a professional one. The pro trap caught a few, but it was at the end of the season.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

We had carpenter bees at our old deck. I tried a lot of different things but ultimately never fully got rid of them. Harbor Freight sells an electric fly swatter (looks like a tennis racket) and that really worked the best for us! We mostly had one giant one at a time, hovering over the territory. I'd zap them as they annoyed me...then zap his replacement...then the next...
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL at the tennis racket swatter. I've seen those and thought they look like fun. We have the carpenter bees also. Their a pain but they don't really bother me too much. They're not really aggressive and they Google says they really hardly ever sting. Same for the dirt/mud daubers. (Yeah long wasp looking things) I've been trying to teach myself to not be so freaked out by them.

My main concern is the regular paper wasp looking ones that hover over the water when I'm in the pool. That's just too close for comfort.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Not exactly a pool question! But does anyone have any ideas to keep away bees from pool deck area?
    I have asked this question many times myself since i am allergic to bee stings. I have googled looking for answers, i have posted on this site and others looking for answers after 2 trips to the ER. i have had to tolerate them for the last 4 spring and summers but for the past 2 i have been bee free. My deck is pretty big (1500sf) and there are a lot of great places underneath it for wasp to build there paper nests. Carpenter bees also hover around certain areas claiming there territory. Once the first warm up would hit the wasps would wake up and start flying under and crawling between the deck boards. EpiPen ready at this point........last summer i called a local pest service and asked them if my deck, pool surround, back covered patio, etc could be treated for bees. They said sure, with a 100% guarantee for any later sightings and call backs. $250.00 they crawled under and sprayed every floor joist, post and floor boards, they also sprayed around my pool and my entire home including all of my eves and soffits and they also sprayed my bushes. So after a long winded story and from a member who owns 2 electric swatters your local pest company with the correct spray is the way to go. After the applications i do not even see them in my yard anymore they are someplace else, just what i wanted.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I keep one of these handy while I'm floating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oYl-Lm9a6U&sns=sms
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation