Apr 6, 2015
Boardman oh
Hello,

This is our first pool. Inground, 27,300 gallons, Hayward 245 sand filter. It came with the house we just bought. Why does it take so long for the CYA level to show on the test? I used the sock method, it's been 4 days and it's still not showing anything. We started at 0 and added 1.5 lbs per the bottle to raise the level to 30 ppm. Can I assume it's at 30 even though it's not showing yet and start slamming?? Our pH is at 7.4

Ok, I could just be confused, but it appears to me that you'd need to add about 7 lbs of CYA to raise your CYA from 0 to 30 in a 27K pool.

If not, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, I could just be confused, but it appears to me that you'd need to add about 7 lbs of CYA to raise your CYA from 0 to 30 in a 27K pool.

If not, someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I hope you're not wrong. Mine's about the same size and I had figured just like you...about 7 lb. Only put 5 in at first, though, cuz I've been reading the forums and got crazy paranoid about adding too much!

So, that's good news for the OP. You didn't add too much!

The OP said "We started at 0 and added 1.5 lbs per the bottle to raise the level to 30 ppm. Can I assume it's at 30 even though it's not showing yet".

I assumed that to mean he thought that 1.5 lbs of CYA would get him from 0 to 30ppm, not that he was taking it up in stages.

I agree 100% that moving up in stages, and not overshooting, is the best way to add CYA.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.