Salty Taste

roppy

Bronze Supporter
Feb 19, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I have been using the TFP Method since I bought my 1975 home 2 years ago. I have never had a single problem just a sparkling clear pool. Now for my problem, towards the end of last season I started to notice a salty taste to the water but didn't think much of it. Fast forward to this season and I still notice a salty taste. I have never put salt in my pool and it never had any taste till end of last year. I use the TFP testing kit so I took a sample to the local pool store where I buy my %10 Liquid Chlorine and Acid and had them test for salt content, came back at 2600ppm. How did salt enter my pool to that level in 2 years? when I moved in I drained and refilled my pool so there is no way it was because the previous owner put salt in. Oh and there is no SWG or ever was.
My number using TFP Testing Kit
78F
6.0 FC
7.5 PH
60 TA
775 CH
40 CYA
0.08 CSI
2600 Salt (at Pool Store using computer tester)

Thanks for the help in advance I read this forum every day even though I have never had an issue.

the liquid bleach DOES contain salt. for every 141oz of 10% you add 10ppm salt to a pool your size. so you would have had to add 260 bottles of bleach in 2 years to get there. (obviously rough math). is that possible? once its there, the only way to get it out is to drain or have it splash out. You very well might taste salt at those levels - some do, some don't. I have a SWG at 3600ppm and i definitely taste it.

Did you fill or top off the pool with water from a water softener? That is about the only way you could get salt that high that quickly.

All forms of chlorine contain salt, but the salt level generally only gets up to 1,000 to 1,400 from chlorine alone.

My fill water does not come from my water softener. This is upsetting if I have to replace water because of salt build up. The whole reason I went to liquid chlorine was to avoid waisting water being I live in a desert and I want to be as water responsible as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.