Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salty Taste

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Salty Taste

I have been using the TFP Method since I bought my 1975 home 2 years ago. I have never had a single problem just a sparkling clear pool. Now for my problem, towards the end of last season I started to notice a salty taste to the water but didn't think much of it. Fast forward to this season and I still notice a salty taste. I have never put salt in my pool and it never had any taste till end of last year. I use the TFP testing kit so I took a sample to the local pool store where I buy my %10 Liquid Chlorine and Acid and had them test for salt content, came back at 2600ppm. How did salt enter my pool to that level in 2 years? when I moved in I drained and refilled my pool so there is no way it was because the previous owner put salt in. Oh and there is no SWG or ever was.
    My number using TFP Testing Kit
    78F
    6.0 FC
    7.5 PH
    60 TA
    775 CH
    40 CYA
    0.08 CSI
    2600 Salt (at Pool Store using computer tester)

Thanks for the help in advance I read this forum every day even though I have never had an issue.
    1975, 18000 GL, Plaster never been re-plastered, 2 year Old Hayward Sand Filter, Very Old Pump made out of cast Iron, and Single Speed 1 HP motor. Mesa AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salty Taste

the liquid bleach DOES contain salt. for every 141oz of 10% you add 10ppm salt to a pool your size. so you would have had to add 260 bottles of bleach in 2 years to get there. (obviously rough math). is that possible? once its there, the only way to get it out is to drain or have it splash out. You very well might taste salt at those levels - some do, some don't. I have a SWG at 3600ppm and i definitely taste it.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you fill or top off the pool with water from a water softener? That is about the only way you could get salt that high that quickly.

All forms of chlorine contain salt, but the salt level generally only gets up to 1,000 to 1,400 from chlorine alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My fill water does not come from my water softener. This is upsetting if I have to replace water because of salt build up. The whole reason I went to liquid chlorine was to avoid waisting water being I live in a desert and I want to be as water responsible as possible.
    1975, 18000 GL, Plaster never been re-plastered, 2 year Old Hayward Sand Filter, Very Old Pump made out of cast Iron, and Single Speed 1 HP motor. Mesa AZ

5. Back To Top    #5

Most likely the pool store test result is simply wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

People with SWGs run higher salt levels than that. High salt alone is not reason enough to drain, unless the taste part really bothers you. And I wouldn't trust the pool store results anyway. How did the rest of their results compare to your own?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!