Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Renovating New Home Purchase (Inc Pool - Unplanned-for Problems)

1. Back To Top    #1

Renovating New Home Purchase (Inc Pool - Unplanned-for Problems)

(misleading title I know, meant to edit before I posted)

Hi again TFP. Recently I had a thread that helped me determine the type of pool surface I am dealing with and I'm working towards how to repair/conceal/temp-fix flaws on the pool surface. (Shout out to /u/pooldv and others for their help)

Anyway, I was confused about the type of pool surface I have at a home I purchased. Stupid me doesn't/didn't know. I did not notice the flaws (flaws=yellowish stuff in pictures) when I bought the house. The other thread helped me determine we think that yellow is a gelcoat, which I guess is when you re-surface a fiberglass pool, and then paint over it??

So since the pool tile is being re-done with new tile this coming week, I would like to address it then, since the pool will be drained.

Here's the same set of pics:

(Full Res)

That's where my question comes in.. What do I do to conceal that ugly yellow? Can I paint over? What paint do I need? What prep needs done? Or would I have to do this gelcoat fiasco again.

Excuse my ignorance. Trying my hand at a crash course here and TFP has proven a great place for it! Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Renovating New Home Purchase (Inc Pool - Unplanned-for Problems)

If it were me, I would just drain down a bit til exposing it and just touch up paint it with a similar color.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    If it were me, I would just drain down a bit til exposing it and just touch up paint it with a similar color.
    Cool. Sounds good, at least for the time being. What type of paint do you suggest to go right over top the old paint and gelcoat where exposed? What paint that is less likely to rub off like the stuff on there now?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure at all on that, but I know pool paint exists. Might need to do some googling or maybe someone on
    the forum can help.

if you find a place online that can do a custom color, maybe you can shave off a small section of paint for them
    to analyze for a replacement color.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.