Light junction box

jeller

May 19, 2015
Anderson, SC
Hello board. First post. I have recently moved into a new house with a pool. The previous owner told me the pool light has "never worked". I pulled it out and started investigating. I'm not getting any power to the fixture. I have power at the breaker and leading down the conduit into the ground. Seem like the problem would be in the junction box. Problem being I can't find it. Any suggestions? It's not under the diving board, behind the diving board in the grass, by the pump, or anywhere it seems. Romex cable is connected in the panel and a SO type comes from the fixture so there has to be one somewhere. The wife is not happy with the holes I'm digging up in the yard.

Thanks

So it is good out of the panel and dead at the fixture with two different types of wire. I just looked at a house the other day (we are moving) that had the box buried level in the concrete decking as Jason mentioned. I would assume you would have found that.

Really have 3 options. Dig and follow the romex until you hit the box or a splice. Use a metal detector to try to track the wire if it is buried shallow enough. Or call a tool rental place and see if they have an underground utility locator. The one by me had them last year.

Where is the switch for the light at??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it is good out of the panel and dead at the fixture with two different types of wire. I just looked at a house the other day (we are moving) that had the box buried level in the concrete decking as Jason mentioned. I would assume you would have found that.

Really have 3 options. Dig and follow the romex until you hit the box or a splice. Use a metal detector to try to track the wire if it is buried shallow enough. Or call a tool rental place and see if they have an underground utility locator. The one by me had them last year.

Where is the switch for the light at??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. The switch is near the panel box right off my deck. Pump is on the other side of the pool. I'm thinking the utility locator is going to be best bet.

If it is truly romex wire then some digging will be in order any way if you can not pull it from the conduit. Romex is not rated for wet location (anywhere outdoors including inside conduit) and most likely is the reason the light is not working. Hopefully it is connected to a GFCI breaker. Are there any light switches around that you don't know what they control? How about a receptacle, GFCI or otherwise that it may be connected to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.