Chlorine levels for closing???

JimB

Jul 5, 2008
This is my first year with TFP and have really enjoyed it. Now, I'm in the process of closing. I've cleaned all the leaves, backwashed and tested the water. Also, read the closing section in PS. I've also went through many of the posts in this section and am now confused. In PS, it says to bring the pool up to shock level and check until it holds for 24 hours. Ok. Going through the posts I've seen a few that question closing the pool at shock level. What is the correct way to do it, please?

Here's the results of my last test
FC 3 - CC 0 - TC 3 - PH 7.8 - TA 100 - CH 110 - CYA 40 - water temp 60

Using the PC it gave me a shock level of 15 so I added 336 oz. of 6%. I'm not doing anything to adjust PH or CH. I'm debating adding algecide as the closest pool store is 30 minutes away.

My goal is if it holds FC of 15 all day and tomorrow a.m., vacum to waste (even though it clean now I do it for the heck of it) finish draining to 6" below and cover with FC at 15. I do use a pillow anchored in four directions to keep it in place and attach a gal. jug (about half full) at pair of gromets with a shower hook to keep the cover from lifting.

Ok it's been an hour so I just tested FC again. It was 13.5, so I added 48 oz of 5.25. I'll check again in another hour and wait for an answer to the main question. Other suggestions are warmly welcomed, as well.

Thanks,
Jim
on the Northcoast

JimB said:
This is my first year with TFP and have really enjoyed it. Now, I'm in the process of closing. I've cleaned all the leaves, backwashed and tested the water. Also, read the closing section in PS. I've also went through many of the posts in this section and am now confused. In PS, it says to bring the pool up to shock level and check until it holds for 24 hours. Ok. Going through the posts I've seen a few that question closing the pool at shock level. What is the correct way to do it, please?

Here's the results of my last test
FC 3 - CC 0 - TC 3 - PH 7.8 - TA 100 - CH 110 - CYA 40 - water temp 60

Using the PC it gave me a shock level of 15 so I added 336 oz. of 6%. I'm not doing anything to adjust PH or CH. I'm debating adding algecide as the closest pool store is 30 minutes away.

My goal is if it holds FC of 15 all day and tomorrow a.m., vacum to waste (even though it clean now I do it for the heck of it) finish draining to 6" below and cover with FC at 15. I do use a pillow anchored in four directions to keep it in place and attach a gal. jug (about half full) at pair of gromets with a shower hook to keep the cover from lifting.

Ok it's been an hour so I just tested FC again. It was 13.5, so I added 48 oz of 5.25. I'll check again in another hour and wait for an answer to the main question. Other suggestions are warmly welcomed, as well.

Thanks,
Jim
on the Northcoast

Hi, Jim,

Like most things with pools, there is no absolute right or wrong way to close a pool. What you are doing is pretty good but we need to clear up one thing about your chlorine loss.

The FC loss during the day is most likely caused by the sun and has nothing to do with whether or not your pool has organics (algae) in it.

Chlorine is consumed by two things only.....sunlight and organics in your pool. You test for organics by testing at night, recording, and then testing again before the sun hits the pool the next morning. Obviously, you lose no FC to sunlight during the night so, if you have no FC loss the next morning, your pool is free of any organic contaminants.

So, assuming your water is clear, most folks close by giving the pool a big dose of chlorine and closing it down.....it's really that simple. Many folks on the forum are also big advocates of using a polyquat 60 algaecide just before covering the pool as further algae prevention.

To answer your first question, I think it's a good idea to shock a pool upon closing but I don't see it as mandatory. The polyquat 60 is a personal choice but many, many people use it....I don't.

My main point in posting is to prevent you from trying for zero FC loss during the day.....that's not gonna' happen even if it's cloudy.

Thanks, I was kinda wondering about that. And I did wonder how much the sunlight would affect it. I did check it again an hour after adding the 5.25 and it was 16.5. Another hour later, down to 14.5. So I'll check it after sunset, then again tomorrow morning to compare.

Bright sun today and supposed to be Sunday and Monday...also near 80. Almost seems like I shouldn't be closeing up. Of course the water is 60 and one year I didn't get it closed until the first week of November. That was a cold and nasty day.

And thanks a lot. I've learned a lot this summer but still more to learn

Jim
on the Northcoast

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.