Stains caused by wire brush bristles

rtv

May 20, 2015
Tampa, FL
16x32, 16,000 gal pool with vinyl liner.
I was brushing some stains on my pool steps with a wire brush and didn’t realize that some of the wire filaments from the brush worked loose and went into the pool. I saw them the next day on the bottom of the pool with a small brown stain around each one of them. I vacuumed the pool and removed the small wire brush filaments but the brown staines remained where the small wire filaments were. The stains are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size. I am assuming these are rust stains?

I put 2 qts of Metal Magic in and let the filters run 24/7. The directions on the bottle say to adjust PH to 7.5 and chlorine to 1.0, which I did. It seems to me from what I read the PH should be low to help remove stains but since the bottle said raise it to "7.5 or higher" thats what I did.

Each day I brushed the stains but after 3 days they looked just the same, didn’t even lighten up, so put in another qt of Metal Magic. Stains haven’t changed at all, still there. I'm still trying to keep the chlorine at about 1.0.

Are these stains removable or am I stuck with them?
Any ideas appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

It is extremely unusual for a sequestrant, like Metal Magic, to remove stains. Sequestrants are designed to bind to metals already in the water and prevent them from forming new stains.

Since your stains are localized, the simplest thing might be to put a vitamin C tablet on each stain. That should lift the stain off the surface.

As I said in the original post, I had some black stains on the stairs, not the vinyl, suspected black mold, scrubbed them with wire brush first, then silver algaecide. Those stains are gone now so that must have been what it was.

Thanks for the response.
I got a 10 lb bag of ascorbic acid, put about 1/2 the bag in socks and put them on the stains. The stains came out within 5-10 minutes. I was quite happy until the next day when I noticed they were back again. They were lighter in color, but they did come back. I've got my PH down to 7.1 and chlorine to almost 0. Ran my pool cleaner and brushed the stains with my pool brush, but it has no effect on them.
What else should I be doing to keep them gone?

Follow up:
After my last post, I put the rest of the 10 lb bag of ascorbic acid, about 5 lbs, in the pool and let the pump run 24 hours. After that I put in a qt of Metal Magic and let the pump run 48 hours.
The stains are all gone. Completely gone and have not returned.
I added a box of Washing Soda and got the PH back up to 7.3 and the Alk up but the next day the PH had fallen back to 7.0. I then added 1 box of Borax to raise the PH only as the Alk was stable. The PH is now stable at 7.4.
I have added 1 gallon of chlorine per day which takes it up to 3.5 but the next day it is very low so I keep adding 1 gal chlorine per day until the chlorine stabilizes.
Pool looks good, no stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.