I have been battling but my water is still cloudy

O2flow

May 8, 2015
Bowie/Maryland
Hello All I am new to the TFP forum and I welcome your advice so here goes.

I opened my pool this year to black water and a plethora of frogs and tadpoles. Not to mention, all the algae that was just a beast that kept roaring back...I still have frongs at night and they are hanging around the edge but not in the pool, however my pool is still opaque. It is blue but you cannot see through to the bottom. I can see at the shallow end but its still hazy. My pump is humming along at 12 psi which is my normal operating running pressure. When I need to backwash it heads up to 20 psi. I have 3/3" chlorine tablets in the skimmer.

I have read many articles in 'Pool School" and have ordered my own test ket but for now here is what the Pool Supply place returned after testing my pool chemistry:
Free Chlorine 7.4 ppm
Total Chlorine 8.5 ppm
Combined Chlorine 1.1 ppm
pH 7.6
Hardness 240 ppm
Alkalinity(w/stabilizer correction) 7 ppm
Cyanuric Acid 10 ppm
Copper Not run
Iron Not run
Total Dissolved Solids Not run

I am desperate to get this thing clear but will follow your recomendations. I fear I am dumping checmicals and not addressing the problem. :slidehalo:

Hello Monica! Best thing you said was you have ordered your own test kit and read Pool School. :) Without your OWN accurate test results, it's all guesswork - even with a pool store's results. But one thing you can count on from reading all the posts - get ready to have lots of liquid chlorine (liquid bleach/shock) on-hand so you can implement the SLAM method. Don't put anything else in your pool other than liquid bleach until your test kit arrives. As soon as your kit arrives, focus on CYA and chlorine levels and follow the Pool School CYA chart to maintain proper SLAM levels. That will pay HUGE dividends in turning your pool back to crystal clear! The experts and Moderators here are great.

Thanks so much Pat. After I read the Pool School articles I bout 12 cases of Liquid Chlorine! I went from black to blue after 8 cases. Man that was aweful cause the algae was fighting me back. I finally got the blooms under control and evicted the frogs so I need to SLAM not shock. I noticed that they say if my CC is over .5 (and I am at 1.1)so I will surely SLAM when I get home again. I cannot wait for my test KIT! I never trusted the pool supply anyhow....

Have a great day Pat! I appreciate your response.

Still waiting for my TF Test kit.
Once I have it all will know what my numbers are. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

The pool store here tested my water last and that is where I go the cholirine at 1.1. I have not gone back to test i am waiting for my kit. i want to know and not guess. Wasting $$$$.

Still waiting for my TF Test kit.
Once I have it all will know what my numbers are. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Will do thanks so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally Got my TEST KIT and I Felt like a Chemist Last Evening...:party:

Okay TF-100 Test Kit came and I went to work...Here are my results. Keep in mind, I did each test three times to assure i was right and I will keep practicing. Here goes:
pH 7.2
FC 18.5
CC 6
CH 200
TFC 24.5
CYA 60
TA 160
CL 5
BR 10

I can see to the bottom of the pool and need to vacuum again but it could be clearer. What do I need to do. Listening to my pool shop I see I am way high on FC and way high on TA. :(
Standing by for all great advise and assistance. i am ready to DITCH my Pool Supply Store and their testing machine.

M-:hammer:

Finally Got my TEST KIT and I Felt like a Chemist Last Evening...:party:

Okay TF-100 Test Kit came and I went to work...Here are my results. Keep in mind, I did each test three times to assure i was right and I will keep practicing. Here goes:
pH 7.2
FC 18.5
CC 6
CH 200
TFC 24.5
CYA 60
TA 160
CL 5
BR 10

I can see to the bottom of the pool and need to vacuum again but it could be clearer. What do I need to do. Listening to my pool shop I see I am way high on FC and way high on TA.
Standing by for all great advise and assistance. i am ready to DITCH my Pool Supply Store and their testing machine.

M-

Re: Finally Got my TEST KIT and I Felt like a Chemist Last Evening...:party:

I moved my post to your other thread. Try to keep everything together since you are still working on the same problem. Thanks!

Congrats on the kit!

Just for future, to save you typing time and from having to match color, you don't need to post the OTO test (the yellow one with the pH test). The FC and CC test give you all the chlorine information you need. The OTO test really just confirms that "yes, there is chlorine in the pool."

So rule number one here, ignore the pool store. Or is that rule number 2? Hmm, well it is one of the top rules. Your TA will naturally pull your pH up over time and as you add acid to adjust the TA will decrease. Rarely is there a reason to attack it directly.

Your FC level is just fine, it is below your SLAM level according to this chart. Are you 100% sure your CC is 6? If so then it is way high, anything above 0.5 indicates a problem. Have you added any "non-chlorine shock" lately or anything other than liquid chlorine to the pool lately? Assuming not then you need to SLAM your pool to bring your CC down and help clear the little bit of cloudiness. If your water is mostly clear then it should be a quick process if you follow the process correctly.

Finally, here is the list of our recommended levels. Once your SLAM is complete make sure to keep your FC level above the minimum for your CYA and you shouldn't see any significant problems going forward. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Re: Finally Got my TEST KIT and I Felt like a Chemist Last Evening...:party:

I have not added any non Chlorine products. I did the CC test three times and all same value. I am sure.

I will follow the SLAM and see what happens. Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Thanks I couldnt find my original thread so thanks for putting them together. Here are my latest results after SLAM:
FC 1.0
CC 1.0
TC 2.0
TA 180
CYA 60

This morning water was crystal clear so I could see there were still leaves in the deep end corners. I have used the leaf bag and gotten them out ( I hope as its cloudy again from agitation). By Pool School going by my numbers I need to get my shock level to 24 anf FC to atleast 5 preferred 7. Should I shock or continue SLAM until CC is .5? Sorry if I'm totally confused.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.