Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping the critters out

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping the critters out

We opened our pool a couple weeks back.

before we opened, we noticed that toads liked to sit on top of the winter cover in the swampy water. We have not had any since we opened, until today. I went to check the skimmer and there was a dead (and bloated) toad in there.

I put a solar cover on when not in use (although there are some gaps in it). Is there any way to eliminate the toads from jumping in and dying in there?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping the critters out

Short of putting some kind of fine fencing completely around the pool with no gaps for the critters to get through, no.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
    Short of putting some kind of fine fencing completely around the pool with no gaps for the critters to get through, no.
    kind of figured as much

I dont care if they are in there, I do care they are dying in there.. I dont want to pick their bloated corpses out

4. Back To Top    #4

Somebody posted a frog rescue skimmer lid on here the other day. It had a little spiral ramp where they could get out.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

we had some froglogs for a while until a dog munched them. They seemed to work pretty well.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach