Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to get it right

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to get it right

Hello all- I have been trying to set my percentage on the SWG so I don't have to keep raising and lowering it. All chem levels are ok, FC 4 and CYA 70. I have the SWG running at 40% for 20 hours and it might seem like a lot, I have sun on the pool for most of the day. At that rate I've calculated about 30 oz. of chlorine daily. The questions I have is that a daily acceptable amount of chlorine for my pool size and sun exposure? Also, I have noticed that sometimes my Jandy PDA does not recognize the SWG and I have to put the system into service mode and back to normal. Anyone else having same issues?

thanks.
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to get it right

You are always going to have to test and adjust a little. A week of cloudy days and your chlorine demand is going to drop with the FC rising. As the summer progresses you will need more chlorine per day and as fall approaches it will start going down. It won't be as drastic in Miami as places further north, but it's not a Showtime Rotisserie, you can't set it and forget it. OK, too much late nite TV for me....

I would also bump up the % and cut down on the hours you are running your system 20 hours a day seems excessive.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I would agree 20 hours is overkill. I'm currently running 11 hours a day using a VS pump. My SWCG is set to 15%. My FC is 5ppm.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I will raise the % and cut down the pump run time. Will I still have to add bleach from time to time or will the SWG produce enough chlorine?
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.