Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hayward H400 propane - smells like burning fuel @ ignition

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hayward H400 propane - smells like burning fuel @ ignition

Heater is brand new. Just fired it up but shut it down the second it smelled like "jet fuel" exhaust. Manometer reading shows the correct pressure for gas. GPM water flow from the pool is good.

Not sure if this is normal for a new heater on startup and if I should just let it run or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Hayward H400 propane - smells like burning fuel @ ignition

Welcome Garvin,

It sounds like it's the "new" burning off. Albeit a different brand I noticed that about mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Oils from the manufacturing process more than likely.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

If its a propane heater it is probably the smell of burning money.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

5. Back To Top    #5

So I let it run for about 2 hours. The smell was there the entire time. Just smelled somewhat like diesel fuel exhaust but there was no smoke. It basically added 1 degree every 30 mins. I looked in the heater's "sight glass" and the flames were blue and around the right height.

My old Hayward H200 didn't ever smell like this. It's bad enough to make me want to operate it only when no one is around. I can't imagine having this going when there are swimmers present.

So something seems wrong. Not sure where to go from here.

Any help is appreciated.

G

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you contacted Hayward?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

They do have a noticeable smell when new. It should go away within a day or two. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask the manufacturer.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The smell is common and will go away with time.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

9. Back To Top    #9

As others have stated, the smell is likely caused by oils from the manufacturing process - it's quite common. I would give it at least 10 hours of runtime. The smell will eventually go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin123
    I looked in the heater's "sight glass" and the flames were blue and around the right height.
    Sounds like your heater is set up properly and is burning at the proper air-fuel ratios.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

You ought to get a whiff of a new catalytic converter burning off. They spray 'em with shellac or something so they stay pretty in storage. Probably the same thing you're getting.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!