Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner in UT

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner in UT

Hello all,

I just recently bought a home here in northern UT that has an in ground pool. It is roughly 20' x 40' and ranges from 3' to 9' deep. It is using a Hayward super pump 1.5hp, a Hayward sand filter and the Chlorination is provided by a Compupool chlorine generator.

I look forward to doing a lot of reading and a lot of learning here and possibly even help someone out some day (once I know what the heck I'm talking about).

At this point I have opened up the cover, raked out the leaves, had a solar heating array installed and repaired some leaking gaskets on the diverter valves and the Compupool unions. It's too cold to swim here still, but I figured now was a good time to get it up and running and get the old water circulating again. My Compupool read out is asking for more salt so I am researching the proper amounts to add and how to properly test the current levels so I don't overshoot my target.

Cheers!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner in UT

Hi KineKilla,
    welcome to TFP. You've come to the right place to figure out how and what to do.

In order to know the condition of the water, first and foremost, you need a reliable test kit. This without doubt will be the best investment you can make in your swimming pool. TFP recommends either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006. Teh K2006 is available a lots of places online and teh TF100 is available only at www.tftestkits.net and www.poolsupplyworld.com

For testing salt, most of us use Salt Test Strips which are usually somewhat reliable, or the Taylor K1766 salt test kit (imo, worth the money for the comfort of knowing with certainty), or just depend on the salt sensor on your saltwater controller. If you are comfortable that your salt system is working properly, just add a bag and wait a few hours, then repeat until the system is happy with the salt level. The problem with the add as needed method, is if the salt senser is wonky, you end up with way too much salt and end up having to drain water to get the salt level down.

Next,
    Get aquainted with what the water parameters are. Clicking the Pool School button is a great place to start. Lots of info in there and no one expects you to learn it all instantly, so if you have any specific questions, please feel to ask.

Next,
    How to determine how to determine what your chemical levels should be? Well, here you go!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels

So Next, of course
    How much of something to put in the water in order to obtain recommendations? Well here you go! A handy tool to help you with that!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I hope this helps get you on your way with learning how to care for your pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Dave's given you some good advice and I will underscore the importance of getting one of the Recommended Test Kits. Accurate test results are the cornerstone of the principles we teach.

I would also check out the
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry .
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well hello there in chilly Utah! You will love your pool once you get to use it. It is SO much fun and relaxing! I can't wait to see pics of your pool!

Let us know when you have your test kit and we can walk you through doing the tests.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a test kit but it is not one of the two listed here. I have had the water moving for 2 days around the clock and have put 2 bags of salt in so far but also added a lot of water to bring the pool up to post winter levels. It still says "add salt".

I used my test kit to run some tests tonight and if done correctly, the numbers are as follows:

PH 7.5
    FC 4 (PPM?)
    TC 3 (PPM?)
    Total Alkalinity 150
    Acid Demand took 2 drops of reagent to bring it down to 7.2

Still need to get a kit that will allow me to test for CYA and some salt strips. Water is crystal clear, no odors but does need a good vacuuming if I could get a break from the rain long enough to do it.

I have read the Pool School stuff and am using the TFP Pool Calculator.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, it is ppm. What is your water temp? If it is under 60 then don't listen to the SWG yet. It doesn't read salt level correctly at cold temps.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm pretty sure it is below 60 but I'll need to make sure. That is good to know though.

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Great pool and welcome!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter